The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Friday, October 27, 2006

Oh, the weather outside is...fine?

Well, today is supposed to be the big day. The forecast seems to have been downgraded a little for this area:THE VERTICAL WIND SHEAR APPEARS FAVORABLE FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE STORMS...BUT THE INSTABILITY IS EXPECTED TO BE ONLY MARGINAL. IF THE AIRMASS BECOMES MORE UNSTABLE THAN FORECAST...THERE WOULD BE A GREATER THREAT FOR WIDESPREAD SEVERE STORMS. I actually talked to hubby about me chasing this one if the opportunity presents itself. He was cool with the idea, even knowing that I have nothing but a cell phone and a weather radio. I will talk to some folks at my office to see about getting updated road maps for the counties to my west. It looks like we are just to the east of the severe weather forecast area. I would have to go west. I can't go too far though. I have company coming in tonight and driving in the dark in unfamiliar territory is not my strong suit.

The only thing that concerns me is Rule #2 of storm chasing, "Don't be stupid, live to chase another day." That's hard one to get a grip on. Rule #1 is easy. You really have no choice but to be patient. Stupidity is always an option... Of course I won't be specifically stupid, but generally storm chasing in South Georgia isn't the smartest thing to do, right? There are obvious risks involved. When will I know to stay and shoot pics versus when to get my butt out of harm's way? (I wonder if that is something that comes with learning the systems, and, if so, do I have to get killed before I figure it out??? I'd prefer not to learn it that way...) Then, there is the whole issue of going to less populated areas to have the better view, fields, open areas... generally not the best place to go in a severe thunderstorm... right, sort of makes you a target, right? So where do I go if I happen to be in an open area and a tornado forms nearby? How do I get my butt out of dodge? Where does the line get drawn, I suppose? Do I chase or get chased?

Hubby actually had a hat designed for me that reads "Storm Chaser", and it has a picture of a tornado chasing stick figures. I don't think I like the irony in that...


SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED FOR TODAY AND THIS EVENING.
So, I'm excited and nervous. Yep, that about sums it up. I'll be safe though, I promise. If for some reason, though, something gets screwed up and I'm not safe anymore, love to all my family and friends. Oh, and to all my storm chasing fans, be careful... don't be stupid, live to chase another day.

73,
~Dewdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dew comment, please...