The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Tuesday, January 09, 2007

An experienced ham...

Several things today... first, thanks Peggy for explaining the Banger Sisters comment to me. I still don't understand my commenter's reasoning for the comment, but... I'll check out the movie to perhaps understand. I won't be going to the Chaser Convention in Denver though (as cool as it would be). I have a conflict that weekend, and the expense was not planned. My top priority for now is getting my equipment for becoming a successful storm chaser. I'll make it to convention, just not this year.

Next, guess what I got to do last night??? I had my first opportunity to talk on Amateur Radio. I guess that officially makes me an experienced HAM... I could definitely use some more practice though. It really wasn't much different from talking on a CB, which I have never really enjoyed, but instead of using a handle, you have to use the call sign... I expect that with use I'll get into a comfort zone with it. I should be good just having a mobile unit and scanner for use in my vehicle while on chases... I can't see myself with a radio on my hip, and I don't see the value. I am a storm chaser first, not a HAM.



I have officially obtained Advanced Spotter certification status. I still don't have a spotter ID number or a card or anything, but I have a really cool certificate. That's something to be proud of, I suppose. I feel so proud.

Weather news... well, we have cold and dry weather, with some wind thrown in for good measure, so no hard freeze is expected, which is good because my very confused hibiscus has decided to blossom, in January, of all the crazy things... Red flag warnings to our south. ...but this is what I have to look forward to:
A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM DEVELOPING TO OUR WEST SUNDAY INTO MONDAY WILL SPREAD THE NEXT CHANCE FOR SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS INTO OUR REGION. Only a slight chance of anything with this one...but A MORE UNSETTLED PATTERN IS BEING HINTED AT BY THE GUIDANCE FOR THE EARLY TO MID WEEK PERIOD WITH ANOTHER GULF LOW TAKING SHAPE. Once again, I am in wait and watch mode... the life of a chaser. This time though, I refuse to get my hopes up. If it comes, it comes... Never know, it could end up just another "weak and wussy storm"... expression courtesy of the NWS... lol

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, Mini-Dew was invited to the library for some sort of meeting today. We suspect that they might be recognizing her for her voluntary service. Makes a Dewdrop proud.

Toodaloo and 73,
~Dewdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dew comment, please...