The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Saturday, April 14, 2007

One last post before I head out... a word of thanks!

Since I don't know what my blogging opportunities will be like while I'm in Vegas, I thought I would get one last blog out of my system. I hope to get chances to update everyone with my exciting trip, but only time will tell.

You know, I got to reflecting last night on all the kind and helpful people I have met along my journey into storm chasing. People who have really taken the time to help me to learn all that I can about storm chasing, chasing gear, software, storm structure, forecasting, safety, amateur radio, blogger support, chaser courtesies... and the list goes on. Everything I have learned has been with the help of another, and I want to just take a moment or two to recognize those individuals and groups... (this list will not occur in a specific order, so don't feel bad if you're at the bottom of the list, and you feel you should be closer to the top. All of you belong at the top of my list.)

First, it's important to thank hubby, though, because he has been incredibly supportive of this endeavor of mine, only questioning my judgement on rare occasions (cough cough), and always willing to allow me to do what I need to spread my wings, even if he doesn't get it and thinks I'm addicted. There are countless individuals who have just helped me to learn some aspect of chasing... I'll start with the weather service... the guys at NWS, TLH are a wonderful group. Kelly and Tim, in particular, have been so kind about helping me understand the products, the forecasts, and just how it all works, sort of taken me under their wing, I suppose. Kelly was awesome about working with me to get the spotter training that I desperately wanted for this area, and he has been encouraging and a terrific instructor, taking time to offer me additional links and lessons in thermodynamics and so forth, and his AFD's and damage assessment reports are thorough, which just rocks. Many of the forecast writers have been quite entertaining with their word choice, as I've highlighted in the past... I always get a good chuckle when Bryan, Jeff or Ron, write the AFD. There's Jay R., Dr. BS, General Reid for taking time to teach me some forecasting, showing me about RUC analysis, SPC's forecasting tools, offering a supplementary presentation at spotter training, amateur radio and just some really spectacular conversations, glad you're a member of the team, Jay! There's Rick, who really awakened the bug within. He has taught me countless things about chaser safety, chaser gear, forecasting and trend watching. He was patient with me in the early days when I had absolutely no clue, and he has tremendous experience in the region, so a truly great resource in learning the how-to's nearby. He's the one who actually hooked me on the local AFD's (which was thorough last night, thanks Ron!). He brings humor to our chase team, but he also brings with him the "Rick Curse"... I will never surpass his experience, which is an invaluable contribution to our team. He definitely knows his stuff, you know? There's Carolina Mike, who found me when looking for chasing activities near his future duty station... He has joined the chase team and given some of that email inspiration started a great blog that made me drool, but he has been really awesome about sharing his knowledge and expertise and links to Skew-T training that has boiled my brain... it's nice to have an international chaser on the team. Then, Alabama Mike, who has raved about my blog, my first official review. He is dedicated to weather and unfortunately missed his calling on account of cold feet... you know, Mike, it's never too late to go back... chase those dreams. Welcome to the team. Then, there is Jeff Gammons... another tremendous person with so much willingness to take me under his wing. Jeff has the dream job, he is a videographer, and he has had some awesome jobs. Jeff's blogs are are great comprehensive resource for learning the weather scoop. Not to mention, it's so easy to get caught up in the friendly banter of his comments section (cause I'm cool like that). I plan to join Jeff and the Weathervine team on a hurricane chase this summer (yes, Rick, I plan to chase a hurricane) and a plains chase next spring. Jeff has shared his DVD's with me, and I have learned so much. Through him, I have met some truly incredible people, who were very willing to share their knowledge, offer tips and share some kind words and encouragement with me... There's Chris Collura (a computer programmer - won't hold it against you), who is currently in a much better location for the afternoon chase... you know, work, chase, Chinese food, sleep... now, that's the life), Tony Laubach (a lively chaser out of Colorado, who'll drop almost everything for a chance to chase. He has been tremendously helpful in taking the time to encourage me and offered a nice analysis for me of SLR's, which I will have someday soon), Mike Hollingshead (a kind and humble chaser with an excellent gallery and some incredible tips for photography and chasing), Steve Miller, Texas, (his satirical blogs are a hoot and a half, but even when you sift through the humor, he offers a very comprehensive forecast and analysis... He has clearly defined the SDS illness, symptoms and treatment and offers appointments for treatment... he requires an occasional 2X4 treatment and has this weird relationship with turkeys, but a pleasure to banter with... incidentally, through him I met David Drummond, who shot video of a tornado I was watching on radar. It was my first time seeing a real life rendition of what I had seen on radar... awesome!), Amos Magliocco (who offered kind words and some great shots from his many chases, including yesterday's grab of a wedge in Texas), Verne Carlson (the newest member of Channel 7 Storm Chasers, who offered some great wireless advice and taught me how to do the SPC maps as links.), Jessika B. (a kind lady who is chasing the same dream I'm after... she was inspired into the world of blogs, too. She has been very encouraging.) There is Gerry K., who sold me on GR and kindly helped to set me up on it and get it all pretty. Then, there are Peg and Mel, the famous Twister Sisters, kind to encourage me in my pursuits. The VARC, especially, Mark, Scott, Tim and Jon, who have helped me get licensed and extended an invite to ARES. All you chasers out there, I'll see y'all one day in the plains. I certainly hope that I have not left any of my chaser friends off the list. I am very happy to have made all of their acquaintance. They have all helped me tremendously on my journey into chasing, and I look forward to continuing to learn and grow from them and with them. See y'all on the chase!

How's that Jeff, long enough for you??? lol

Well, we know we've got weather headed this way, saw some warnings in Mississippi this morning. Looks like a line has formed from the mess last night, and it is steadily tracking it's way in our direction. Expecting things to deteriorate here this evening. Here's what the guys at NWS had to say...:
.CONTINUED MODEL RUNS ARE INDICATING A 55 TO 65 KNOT JET AT 850MB SETTING UP OVER THE REGION JUST AHEAD OF THE SQUALL LINE AT TIME OF DIURNAL HEATING. DEEP LAYER FLOW MOSTLY UNIDIRECTIONAL ALONG THE LINE BUT ISOLATED CELLS LIKELY AHEAD OF THE SQUALL LINE WHERE THE WIND HAS A HIGHER CHANCE TO VEER WITH HEIGHT. THIS WOULD TRANSLATE INTO THE POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGING STRAIGHT LINE WINDS AND TORNADOES AS SQUALL APPROACHES LATE AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING WESTERN AREAS TO LATE EVENING EASTERN AREAS. SOLAR HEATING WOULD BRING UP CAPE TO 1000-1500 J/KG RANGE BY EARLY AFTERNOON. PER MODEL SOUNDINGS...DESTABILIZATION SHOULD OCCUR IN WRN ZONES BY 18Z WHEN THE SUBSIDENCE INVERSION AROUND 800 MB SHOULD WEAKEN ENOUGH TO ALLOW FREE CONVECTION TO TAKE PLACE. (ahhh, the forecast of the broken cap, instability and lift take over...) THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT...MAIN ACTION SHIFTS TO ERN HALF OF CWA WITH SQUALL LINE ACROSS ERN ZONES. I expect updates... Still sort of bummed that I'll miss it, but learned last night that Mike S. is in the area where I'll be, so perhaps, if something hits to the North (hey, it could happen in slight risk conditions)... we might be able to get some chasing in up that way. Let me know, Mike.

That's it for me, until I get the chance to blog again.

Take care and happy (safe) chasing!
~Dewdrop

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post Dew! Your in a writing mood this morning it looks like. :) You listed some very cool Chasers in the community, and they are all worth knowing.

    Hey you might be missing your setup today, but just think! You going to fly over the squall line and storms this afternoon. Have that cam ready at 35K.

    Chris Collura would have his seat likely all set for the left side of the plane and away from the wing, shooting video out the window as flight staff walks up "sir, what are you doing and whats with all the hardware up to the window?"

    Have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They are all great folks that I have met so far!

    Unfortunately, I fly out tomorrow, but I did notice where the moderate risk area has expanded to include Central GA... ;-)conveniently enough, I'll be there all night...

    As a matter of fact, I am away from the wing on the window, and I will have camera in hand! Chris would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I thought you were flying out today... my bad.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...