The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Saturday, September 29, 2007

Let's all welcome Tropical Storm Melissa to the scene

I got home reasonably early yesterday with clear skies, temps relatively low (for South Central Georgia, I mean), and I decided to go ahead and tackle mowing. Of course, before I could start, I had to take pictures of the magnificent rays of the setting sun poking out from behind a little CU puff in an otherwise hazy sky. I love the way the sun gave the cloud a golden lining, and they say every cloud has a silver lining. Ha! What do they know? I took several pictures of it, but this is the only one that I found to be bloggerific. Also, before I started my mowing adventure, I decided to walk around the yard, looking for potential hazards... (am I smart or what? I know, I know, smart would have been doing that the first time... I'm learning.) Well, I found one soccer ball that I moved, but the kicker (get it, soccer ball, kicker... lol. Gosh, I am cheesy this morning...eye roll) was all these mushrooms. My neighborhood seems to be full of mushroom filled yards right now. I don't know what makes our yards so special, but I seriously had a hundred mushrooms in my yard, so rather than chopping them to shreds with Ol' Red, spreading their spores throughout the yard to exponentially increase my mushroom population, I thought it might be better to walk around and remove them one by one. I literally filled up an overflowing Wally World bag with several types and sizes of mushrooms. Then, I mowed, and the lawnmower only backfired once... apparently, it doesn't like mowing in reverse in 4th gear over thick grass. Who knew? lol, like I said, adventures in yard maintenance...

Onto the tropics... I woke this morning to see that Tropical Depression 14 had graduated up to Tropical Storm Melissa. She has some great convection, but she is not expected to strengthen. In fact, enjoy her while she lasts... her environment now is marginally sheared, but she is headed for some rough skies... Expect Tropical Storm Melissa to:

TO DISSIPATE IN LESS THAN FIVE DAYS IN THE HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT THAT LIES AHEAD LATER IN THE FORECAST PERIOD.
Such strong wording. She doesn't stand much of a chance. Of course, I say that, but the former Tropical Storm now Tropical Depression Karen is still sort of holding her own against the rough environment she has found herself in, but she is not looking good. Her convection has been swept away from the disorganized and ill-defined center. The NHC center is torn as to what to do with her as the strong shear is clearly
WINNING THE BATTLE.
They see her as having returned to just a measly trough of low pressure. Tempted to issue the 11AM as a last advisory, the NHC guys thought a better option would be to downgrade her to give them the opportunity to monitor her to see if a new center forms. Apparently, Global models persist with this solution. In fact, GFDL and HWRF turn her into a hurricane in 3 to 4 days... despite its unlikelihood, she remains in the forecast. I'm telling you, crazy tropics. Basically, it appears that despite all logic, the guys at the NHC are covering their booties.

Aside from all that beautiful outside weather here for me today. I plan to get out and finish up the yard work, perhaps even do some real work out there. It is such a glorious day. That of course, is after a trip to the salon for Mini-Dew. Then, I get to clean house to prepare it for some exciting company on Sunday.

Have a wonderful Saturday!
~Dewdrop

4 comments:

  1. Lovely shot of clouds! Your mushroom adventure had me smiling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Beth Ellen! I loved you bird shots! Great stuff! Glad my mushroom adventure made you smile. Great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell my kids that mushroom s that grow in a ring are called Fairy Rings and that is where the fairies meet at night. I can't let myself mow a fairy ring. A contracted mower made the mistake once and the kids were devastated that he took out the Fairies' meeting place!

    ps. your camera is awesome! I have camera envy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were EVERYWHERE! I didn't mow them. I plucked them. Want 'em? You can plant your little fairy garden meeting place...

    P.S. Thanks! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...