The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Monday, March 09, 2009

Nothing says spring like a slight risk

Well, yesterday was an active day for tornadoes in the northern plains. Twenty two tornado reports were issued including injuries and destroyed structures.

Here are some reports from the day:
Missouri
Illinois
Indiana
A ferocious snowstorm falls in behind this mess, so the folks in those areas are dealing with outrageous cold now.

Another slight risk for severe weather has hatched out today for the central plains, with the set-up favoring long-tracked tornadoes.Storm chasers just coming out of winter SDS (Supercell Deprivation Syndrome) are chomping at the bit to get in some early spring action and indulge their chase appetites. I expect to hear about lots of chasers biting at this one, just to get back into the chasing spirit. Fortunately, longer daylight hours will work in their favor. I, personally, love the longer daylight hours, but I could do without the sleep deprivation. I am loving our beautiful 80° temps here... clear skies. It's nice.

Have a great day!
~Dewdrop

4 comments:

  1. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and call this one a possible no-go. I didn't chase today, and am glad. I think the best we can hope for during the daylight hours is one or two discrete cells to go up within the slight risk area with hail being the most severe parameter. Tornadoes may be more likely after dark further to the east, but I'm not forecasting for that scenario. Just an FYI. * I'm really getting into forecasting big time!!! :) *

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it'll fire further east if at all... but like you, I'm not seeing an all out tornado-fest, and I am seeing the after dark potential, even with extra daylight. Thanks for your input. I can't imagine why you're so into forecasting... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the luxary of driving from STL to Oshkosh on Sunday. As we drove through IL we were greeted to some decent skies, torrential rain, and gusty winds. Tornadoes to blizzards. We got it all on Sunday's drive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. no, no, tornado's! I have been staring at the radar now for over 2 hours. UGH........I hear they (NWS in Tulsa) is going to prolong our agony on the tornado watch. Dang storms....

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...