The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Oops, I did it again...

Last night was quite a night for thunderstorm activity.  We had a storm pulse up suddenly to our east and actually move over our house.  Frequent cloud to cloud and cloud to ground lightning was popping all around us.  As the storm moved to our west, it really got inflamed, and the lightning became constant. Suddenly, another cell initiated to our east, so we literally had it popping on either side of us.

With the frequency, I couldn't help but try my hand at shooting some.... yes, again.  Realize that I do not have many good angles from my house.  There is the west view, which has a line of VERY TALL trees about 100 yards in front of us.  There is the north view with yet another line of very tall trees about the same distance away.  The east view, where our shed and the neighbors house block my view and trees beyond that and then finally, the south view... house, tree.  It's a storm chasers nightmare of home placement.  Oh, how I would love to live on an open field with a wonderful view of all angles. 

Clearly, I am not geographically placed well for shooting lightning from the abode, and until I really nail down my technique and get a remote for shooting, I am not venturing out to a field like some chasers I know (who get great shots, by the way).  I am just not there yet. 

As the storm was east, I scurried into my sunroom to shoot from there... through the opened screen door, which kept slamming shut on me, and the rain was pouring in and covering my camera... no good.  As it moved west, I chased it to the front porch, but I couldn't really get any good bolts... the storm was immediately overhead and most was cloud to cloud lightning at this point. 

When thunder roars, go indoors.  

So... I went into my garage for the more open northward view.  Technically, I was indoors... with a really large door open right beside me.  I didn't get any shots and the storm had moved further west, so back to the porch I trudged. AND, I got one!!

He fills his hands with lightning and commands it to strike its mark. Job 36:32
I love the detail of this CG lightning strike.  I love how it webs out.  This photograph is untouched (hence the water droplets on the lens).  The corner is the edge of my front porch.  The view is to the southwest, where a local said they heard a thunderclap so loud that they thought their windows would burst.  As far as technique, I am still not where I want to be with my lightning photography, but I think that will require me stepping out into some scenery and getting away from the trees.

Until next time,
~Dewdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dew comment, please...