The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Friday, April 13, 2007

Tornadoes in Texas

First of all, that tornadic supercell that I watched for two hours today was captured by Tony Laubach. Nice wedge he shot SE of Seymour. The video is linked on Jeff's blog where Tony Laubach shot the wedge, it gave me chills... It's so incredibly amazing to see what the radar images translated to in reality. Thanks for getting that out there, Tony.

Aside from that, there are reports of a tornado in Dallas/Fort Worth, which resulted in one death. Steve Miller (you know the turkey guy in Texas) posted some excellent coverage of this in his blog. And of course, Jeff Gammons, provides a nice comprehensive view of it all... thanks for posting Tony's video link. All in all, it was a powerful system that slammed Texas today, causing some isolated damage, some injuries and a fatality. As the night progresses, things appear to be winding down... for now, anyway... still considerable hail with the system. Arkansas and Louisiana are now dealing with the remaining cells, and things are getting into place for tomorrow's severe weather down this way.

The question now is how much moisture return will feed in off the GOM, and how far North will it come. I MIGHT get something if it can make it up as far North as I'll be. Potential contenders with the storm includes tornadoes, some possibly significant, large hail and strong straight line winds, talking about 70 mph gusts. For the current HWO, check this link. People in the area are encouraged to stay tuned to the NWS for updates. Keep those NOAA Weather Radios on, folks. We are actually under a 70% chance for severe thunderstorms... Kelly has done a great job with the AFD, very thorough, as usual... but in addition to that, he was kind enough to offer some insight into what the guys are thinking regarding timing for tomorrow (again speculation - don't hold him to it)...
"We are thinking the squall line will not reach south central Georgia until 10 pm at the earliest. We are targeting a window between 10 pm to 1 am. However, there will be storms develop ahead of this line, Potentially as early as 5 pm for residents in south central Georgia. Could be an exciting day." ... Would be more exciting if I were going to be around to chase it... but, hey, I get to see Celine, so it's OK, right? I'll catch the next one... in the meantime, I'll live vicariously thorugh everyone else... It could make it up to ATL... maybe... (oh hush, let me dream.)

Good night... I'm off to finish packing for my trip. (You know, the one that's causing me to miss the severe weather outbreak here tomorrow... yeah, that one.)
~Dewdrop

3 comments:

  1. Have a fun and safe trip! Watch out for those flyer guys and gals on the corners of the strip.

    Also be sure to stop by the Bellagio and watch the fountains. A night is the best. My fav song for the fountains is Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye). Artist: Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman. It's awesome!

    Be sure to blog if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeff. I'll watch the corner folks... scary. I will definitely hit the Bellagio, have to see the fountains, and I'll do my best to blog while I'm there... I will probably put one out in the morning before I leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a good radar analysis of the DFW tornado(s)...some pretty darned interesting stuff.

    http://texastailchaser.com/special/20070413/

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...