The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The fires of Southeast Georgia still rage on...

Well, guess who's home today because the smoke has made her daughter physically sick? The poor dear is really struggling. Last night, it was making me feel very queasy, but this morning, when Mini-Dew looked at me with those sweet pleading eyes and told me that she felt sick, I knew. I knew immediately... moments later, the NOAA weather radio announced Kelly's Special Weather Statement regarding the extremely thick smoke conditions, invading our area with potentially less than 1/2 mile visibility. I have heard reports that it is extremely thick in parts of the county. It's not terribly bad at my house, I would say about 3/4 - 1 mile visibility, but it has infiltrated my home at this point, and we no longer have anywhere to go to escape it. Granted, it's not nearly as bad inside as it is outside, but I am certain that it's the smoke in the house that caused Mini-Dew to be sick. I only wish there were relief in sight, but sadly, there is not. The smoke is expected to hang around, at least, through tomorrow night as the ENE winds carry the plumes from the Ware and Charlton County fires to this area. Some moisture is forming off the coast of Jacksonville, which could... could (as Kelly reiterated) make it far enough west to impact the fires, but that is a slim chance. Hey, at least moisture exists out there... we can hope. I've decided that cautious optimism is the best approach, but it wanes when I see my sweet little girl being made sick by the awful smoke.

Exciting news... my friend, Jess (currently with the Twister Sisters) was able to see tornadoes! That rocks! I am so happy for her. I was arm chair chasing the whole time, asking if they were on certain cells, and then her phone battery died, so I didn't hear until later that they intercepted, not one but three tornadoes! What an awesome experience for her! More action is slated for today as the Texas/Oklahoma panhandles and Kansas are in a moderate risk for severe weather, with a 10% chance for tornadoes and a 45% chance of hail. She (and many others) should have another fabulous day of chasing. Some strong tornadoes are actually expected as significant low-level shear, favorable dewpoints and an impressive MLCAPE come together this evening. This is really an ideal chase experience for my friend. I hope to have a similar experience, but only time will tell. Perhaps, I should have stowed away in her luggage... lol!

I'd better get. Mini-Dew being sick gives me the perfect opportunity to catch up on some at-home projects and spend some quality time with her.

10:30 AM Update: Looks like a cell broke through and is headed exactly where it needs to be headed. Hope it drops buckets on those persistent blazes. Rain, baby, rain!

Toodles,
~Dewdrop

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the rain, Dew. We've been seeing plenty of your smoke over here in Alabama, but of course not to the extent you have had. Reminds me of the song, "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor. You just need the rain part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, Mike, we've got the fire part covered.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...