The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Friday, October 05, 2007

My super optimistic post... by Dew

OK, no one likes negativity, so here it is. We WILL have weather here today! I WILL have an awesome chasetunity with Carolina Mike and perhaps Rick, and I WILL get some AWESOME CG shots! How's that for staying optimistic? We actually have a darn good shot at some scattered thunderstorms this afternoon/evening, so I am thinking I will be chasing tonight. Frequent cloud to ground lightning is mentioned in the HWO. I am so ready! As for the AFD, is it any wonder I love these guys...?

12Z KTAE SOUNDING SHOWS A JUICY AIRMASS REMAINS IN PLACE, WITH THE PW UP TO 2.18 INCHES. THE SOUNDING IS MOIST ADIABATIC THROUGH ABOUT 600 MB. LOW LEVEL WIND DATA IS AVAILABLE TODAY, A RARE EVENT INDEED. WE SEE A PRETTY STIFF WINDS OUT OF THE E AROUND 20 KT
Juicy airmass and stiff winds... love it! I am eager to see how wonderful of a chase day today turns out to be. (I am just oozing with optimism... aren't I?)

Last night, I was sharing my chasecation pics with Carolina Mike, and I was immediately reminded of what a spectacular time I had chasing out there in the plains. Nothing like it. I had a great time telling Mike about all the things I saw while I was out there, but I was reminded about the magnificent structure. Nothing like a spectacular shelf cloud to get those SDS juices flowing (the juicy airmass that the guys mentioned sure helps...) The shelf here was the leading edge of the most ferocious outflow winds I have ever encountered in my life. Melanie speculated that they were between 70 and 80mph. I watched it roll in with it's vicious dust storm. I was sandblasted standing in the parking lot of a gas station in the middle of Nowhere, SD. Literally visibily was cut to nil in the blink of an eye, the wind and sand pounded my flesh. It was invigorating! Dewdrop, I don't think we're in South Georgia anymore... We just don't see shelf clouds like that around these parts. You know what I'm saying?

Tropical action is sad. The surface low (90L) in the Gulf had one little burst of convection when I saw it this morning. Looks like it is approaching the magic spot though, where Humberto went wild. Looks like it is trying to build some convection, but it remains mostly naked. That broad trough of low pressure(92L) is still rather large, but yet still disorganized... The area off of Cape Verde (91L) is looking better now, but heading for a less than favorable environment, and it looks like shear has sufficiently killed the activity-formerly-known-as-Melissa's chances of a future.

So, that's what I've got. Looks like a chasetunity tonight. Woohoo!

Happy Friday... cha cha cha!
~Dewdrop

2 comments:

  1. Here's wishing you all a good cha cha chase tonight! Y'all can give me a call if you need radar support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a ton, Mike! Cha cha chase... Love it! I will be using that! We will give you a ring if we go out. Cool!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...