The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Twister Sisters episode 3... my thoughts...

Thanks to Rick for reminding me about the "Twister Sisters" show coming on last night. I was enjoying a wonderful Christmas dinner when a call came in reminding me about the show last night. Not that missing it would be the end of the world. It looks like they are airing the previous week's episode before showing the new one... What? "Women on Death Row" wasn't making good ratings...? eye roll... Anyways, about last night's episode... I will start by saying that I was half asleep while watching it. I had driven home on Christmas Eve, given Santa a chance to arrive, woken early to see what Santa brought, prepared a Christmas feast and eaten it (which, by the way, I am convinced that goose contains unusually high amounts of tryptophan... Let's see...Tryptophan in Goose meat 403mg/100g (incidentally, turkey has 240mg/100g). I would estimate that I had about 200g of goose meat, which means I had about 806mg of tryptophan. Here is what the FDA has to say about tryptophan.

Tryptophan recommended daily intake (RDI)
RDA 3mg/kg body weight (adults)
TOLERABLE UPPER LIMIT 300-600mg

high dosage of tryptophan could lead to:
gastrointestinal upsets
headaches
sleepiness
anxiety
It appears that I have ODed on tryptophan.) So, there you have it, sleepy with good cause. I raced home to watch the show. Given my sleepy state, I only noticed a few things that really stood out. One, Beau... come on... you are not, as a storm chaser, above the law. Speeding is against the law and dangerous, so when you speed, you are taking a risk. The fact that you are chasing a tornado, does not spell out a "get out of ticket, free pass". It is not a waste of their time... that is actually what traffic enforcement is out there for, if that's imaginable. I could go on, but I think I'll stop there. (Incidentally, here is where we were stopped by the police, trying to outrun a powerful outflow wind that our officer wasn't too concerned with either. The wind was pretty awesome though. The signs were flopping around, as if in a hurricane.) Aside from that, the big issue I had was that the tornado they spliced in for Greensburg was... a rope!!! Based on pics and video I have seen of Greensburg, that tornado was actually a wamma jamma wedge. Hello, folks, it was an EF5, caused complete devastation to over 90% of an entire town. It was not a needle. It was interesting to hear Eric's reaction with the clip they showed, but I know that he was actually seeing the tornado that devastated that area. I was an interesting touch having the people who had survived a tornado on the show. I imagine it was incredibly emotional for them to witness Greensburg. Of all the storms to fight their fears with...

The more I see of this show, the more of an impression I get of what lies in store for my mostly uneventful episode. Stay tuned to see what happens when a chase tour encounters... THE DEWVOID! I can hardly wait.

Weather locally is on the chilly side at a brisk 46, with a high of 58?!!! Ugh! Currently, to make matters worse, my office is without heat, so my fingers are like little icicles tapping on the keyboard. I keep waiting for one to crumble into a million pieces. They are definitely approaching numbness. Brrr.... Looks like a stormy weekend ahead, which is highly likely since I will be out of town again. The good news is that the weather looks perfect for my weekend plans. I hope that pans out.

That's all I've got.

Have a lovely day,
~Dewdrop

12 comments:

  1. I got caught up with family and Christmas activities and forgot all about it. Luckily it is programmed on my DVR so it should be waiting for me tonight.

    And I have seen some amazing pictures of the Greensburg tornado. It was a wedge if there ever was a wedge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been away a few days and just caught up on your postings. SOunds like you had a very BUSY Christmas. We were lazy this year and made everyone come to us instead of us coming to them. It was nice to stay in jammies ALL day! Hope you had a great Christmas and I also hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it DVRed for you, Mike. Thanks for confirming what I thought about Greensburg... a wedge. You'll have to let me know if I was just imagining things, but I am pretty sure that they were showing a pretty white rope tornado with Eric's exclamations of the huge tornado. Weird. (An aside for Bill D.: Who was with them? Matt or Tim? Were they not able to capture any of the Greensburg tornado because of the darkness?)

    Annie, very busy, but very nice. I look forward to a lazy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a pretty good show for the most part..somebody slap that little prick "Beau" about griping about being stopped by the local law enforcemnt. It didnt go on your drivers liscence loser! It went on Erics, but he faced it like a man, not like a little barking lapdog...;-) Othwise I really enjoyed it. Way to go Jess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya, Rick.

    Jess was in episode 2. Rick watched both episodes on Tuesday night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let ya know I know I am not above the law. That scene was edited quite horribly to make us look like jerks... The whole thing about me calling Eric a wuss was from a different day and was not meant to encourage him to go faster. Then in my bluescreen interview that they showed they only showed the part where I said "there are better things for officers to be doing" and they cut it there... unfortunately the end part of my statement was "we caused a problem and made it so an officer couldn't do other important tasks, we don't want to be part of the problem" Kind of an incredibly different meaning when they hack your interview in half. I can see though how we came out looking evil. Just wanted you to know we are not! I have never actually even been pulled over in my life, and am not big on breaking the law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please keep in mind the chasers comments have been heavily edited. Beau's comment was cut off totally changing the point he was trying to make. Keep in mind this is not reality....it is TV. Beau has read this blog and is rather shocked by the "face value" judgment placed on him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beau, I had hoped you didn't think that way, and I really fear the hacking/editing in the show. Thus far, they have really slaughtered you and Eric with the edits. I should have figured that you were misrepresented in that and other segments (I HATE THAT!), and I appreciate you stopping by to defend yourself. Glad you're not an evil law breaker in real life... you just play one on TV. lol I got to party with y'all. I know you're cool. I am sorry that I offended you with my "face value" judgment. Glad you were able to represent it in a better light.

    Bill, I appreciate the reminder, Bill. I will try to be better about keeping that perspective when reviewing the shows. Beau and Eric really were cool to hang with. I really dread what they will do with what I said. I know really tried to get me going on the green screen. We'll see how it "hacks" out. Good golly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry about offending me. I was not terribly offended. I mean if I was truly the way I was portrayed in the show, then yes, I would be a jerk and therefore the comments would be completely warranted. You didn't know. No harm done. I had a lot of fun with you folks for the little time we spent together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Beau! I really wasn't meaning to offend you. I was bothered by the way it was portrayed. I wonder why Original saw a need to treat it that way. Anyways, I appreciate you responding, clearing things up, and I am glad we are able to move on from it. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. About the Greensburg tornado, several people have mentioned that what was shown in the program was certainly no wedge. The problem was the production company was using HD cameras, which provide great quality but have very poor low-light sensitivity. We have a Sony VX-2000, and while it is not HD it is much better at "seeing" in low light. We were able to extract some video captures during lightning flashes, and you can see them here:
    http://twistersistersblog.blogspot.com/

    I also want to comment on what others have said, that we are all subject to the editor's idea of how the show should look and sound. Please keep in mind we are not crazy or lawbreaking people. We consider it our primary responsibility to report any dangerous weather situation to the National Weather Service as our highest priority. None of of us ever want to see damage.

    With that in mind, please enjoy the rest of the show and I would be happy to answer any questions that come up either here or at peggy@twistersisters.com.

    Thanks, and Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, Peggy! I appreciate your input and link. I am sure that folks here are interested in getting all perspectives. I appreciate you stopping by, and I appreciate what y'all do. I look forward to us chasing again someday... soon! I know y'all are crazy lawbreaking people, just cool weather geeks. ;O)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...