The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Friday, January 11, 2008

Tornadoes in Washington, are you kidding me? Holy Cow! No lie.

Well, I was awakened this morning at 2:22AM to that fabulous EAS tone... making me aware of a tornado watch that had been issued for my area. Now, as I watch the radar, it appears that one little cell of this baby squall line, the remnants of the awesome yet destructive storm that swept across the southern states yesterday leaving behind a wake of disaster, is trying to pulse up and become something... mind you, it could just be my SDS flaring up... hallucinations of real storms are common during excessive periods of stormlessness...

OK, OK, it's just my imagination. The little bit of what remains of that system is approaching Dew territory, and of course, is therefore losing the battle. Yes, folks, it looks like the Dewvoid has most likely struck again, my little storm repellent powers have prevailed... of course, I see now that a cell has pulsed up on the other side. All of you Dewvoid doubters out there... the proof is there. Don't deny it, accept it. At least I got to hear the EAS tone. That was nice.

Of course, yesterday was a busy day. Most of the tornadoes occurring earlier in the afternoon, before reaching Alabama Mike. There were 21 reported tornadoes yesterday during this insane January Jolt. The most bizarre tornado report would have to go to this one out of Weir, MS

*** 3 INJ *** DAIRY BARN HEAVILY DAMAGED,3 PEOPLE INJ, ONE HOME DESTROYED. 300 COWS WERE DAMAGED WITH 10 DEAD.
We've got cows suddenly becomes, we HAD cows... I know I am probably going to sounds like PETA, but damaged... cows? They are living things people... most likely, they are injured. It's wild that a couple of weeks ago, they were reporting record low temps, and this week, they are reporting record highs. Strange weather we're having... Another very strange weather incident comes in the form of 4 tornado reports out of Washington state... A Washington tornado outbreak?! WHAT?!
--> 2024 VANCOUVER LAKE, WA *TOUCHDOWN REPORTED FROM NEAR 78TH
--> 2030 HAZEL DELL, WA *TORNADO WITH PRELIMINARY RATING OF EF1 ON THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE WITH ESTIMATED WINDS OF 90 TO 110 MPH. TORNADO PATH LENGTH WAS APPROX. 2 MILES LONG AND 1/4 MILE WID
--> 2035 HAZEL DELL, WA *TREE DAMAGE. POWER LINES DOWN AND TRANSFORMER BLOWN IN HAZEL DELL. POWER FOR ABOUT 2500 CUSTOMERS IN THE AREA IS OUT.
--> 2045 HOCKINSON, WA *TORNADO SPOTTED SOUTH OF HOCKINSON HIGH SCHOOL AND JUST WEST OF 172ND AVENUE
TWC was discussing how there have been 8 reported total in that area in recorded history, and that these are the only ones to hit that area in January ever. You see, now the Dewvoid is just mocking me... tornadoes in Washington, for Pete's sake. Let's get an update on my baby squall, shall I? Still 35 miles out, but I am in the perfect spot to see something should it hold together and become something. I should at least get lightning, right? I took some pics this morning of what it looked like coming in this AM...I did get to bask in the glow of Mini-Dewness yesterday evening. Her teacher sends home quarterly newsletters, and in them, he lists an assignment to check to see how many parents are reading it... this time, "Your child will get a treat tomorrow if you have them write two complete sentences regarding weather facts." (They just cancelled the tornado watch... sigh) Of course, the assignment thrilled me. Now, we just had to decide what we wanted to offer as her weather facts. Mini-Dew was excited that she knew a lot about weather compared with her classmates (pat on my back), but when her teacher asked how funnel clouds formed. She drew a blank, so there you go; we had one fact. The other weather fact, she pulled from her knowledge, no doubt to impress me.

Well, it's off to Tampa for me this weekend. I look forward to a change of scenery, and Dewvoid weather destruction shared equally throughout the region... gives some chase opportunities to Rick and Meso Mike. ;O)

Update: The Dewvoid... Happy Friday,
~Dewdrop

4 comments:

  1. Amazing wx smorgasboard...makes you wonder how active spring might be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I am growing curiouser and curiouser. Should be interesting. Meso Mike just shared with me that they had snow in Baghdad for the first time in 100 years. CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, now you can't be going all Al Gore-ish on me. lol

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...