The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Wednesday, October 15, 2008

No, the 2008 Hurricane Season in the Atlantic Basin is NOT over!

Well, look at what happens while you're resting and recovering... a hurricane! Hurricane Omar is gaining strength in the eastern Caribbean, now up to 85mph winds... he seems to be headed for the Virgin Islands and all that stuff (hmmm... that reminds me of a Chuck Norris joke, which I WILL NOT be sharing here.) They even suspect that Omar could become a category 2 hurricane before landfall. Of course, then, it will sail off into the open seas of the Atlantic, so Hurricane Omar is only going to be a threat to land for the next couple of days, but not to the continental US. Assuming a category 2 landfall, structures will be impacted some, but the biggest problem with Hurricane Omar is the torrential rain that the islands can expect to get from this system, regardless of strength. He is already dumping buckets of precipitation on already saturated soil and on rather mountainous terrain which adds the risk of mudslides.

NOW THAT A DISTINCT EYE AND EYEWALL HAVE DEVELOPED... A GOOD CHIMNEY EFFECT CAN BE ESTABLISHED AND OMAR COULD GO THROUGH A BRIEF PERIOD OF RAPID INTENSIFICATION AGAIN. IT ALSO ISN'T OUT OF THE QUESTION THAT OMAR COULD ACHIEVE MAJOR HURRICANE STATUS JUST BEFORE THE CYCLONE REACHES THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS.
As if that wasn't enough, and really that's the only big player, there is Tropical Depression 16, which is a disorganized mess over Honduras. Nothing solid about this storm, but if it were to get its act together, we would call it Paloma... who came up with THAT NAME?! Worse, we are stuck with that name every six years until Paloma is devastating. Good grief! I would like to nominate myself to the tropical cyclone naming committee please.

As for me... well, I tried my hardest to rest yesterday, which is not an easy feat when you feel mostly ok, just a little sore and achy and you know the laundry needs to be done and the house could use a good cleaning. My body was really good about putting me back in my place. I took frequent breaks and even a nice nap, when my body finally told me ENOUGH! I am sore today and according to my chiropractor, my muscles in the area where I was injected are tighter than ever, so apparently, I won't be one of the blessed ones who feels immediate relief after the first injection... nope, not me... my body decided to fight back. Great. So, I am still sore. My belligerent bones are still disobeying the guidance of chiropractic adjustment, and since I will need 2 more injections soon, I am stuck with only acetaminophen for pain relief... barely touches it. sigh... the picture is arbitrary, but it made me feel hopeful. Did I mention that I hate hospitals and their ridiculousness?! Another story, another day.

5:00PM Update: Hurricane Omar continues to strengthen.
STRONG CONVECTIVE BURSTS HAVE CONTINUED TO DEVELOP IN THE EYEWALL AND RADAR DATA FROM SAN JUAN HAS INDICATED OCCASIONAL DISTINCTMESOVORTICES ROTATING AROUND THE INNER PORTION OF THE EYEWALL.
Have a supercellular day!
~Dewdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dew comment, please...