The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Monday, November 10, 2008

Are you ready for some football??!!!

My goodness... I have so much to write about today... first of all, yet another record with this year's hurricane season... over the weekend, Hurricane Paloma reached major hurricane status actually getting up to category 4 strength before weakening just before landfall in Cuba as a still major category 3 hurricane. The milestone here is that we have now had a major hurricane in the past 5 months...

July --------> Hurricane Bertha reached category 5
August ------> Hurricane Gustav reached category 4
September ---> Hurricane Ike reached category 4
October -----> Hurricane Omar reached category 3
November ----> Hurricane Paloma reached category 4
It really has been an amazingly impressive year!

I got an email from a local blog friend who is fighting for the right to maintain his canopy road... Read the story here... and here is some additional information. It breaks my heart when local governments (especially mine) perceive a need to destroy that what God has put so much beauty into. These amazing canopy roads are a breathtaking sight... I have photographed several in the area, and it is disturbing that they have decided to rob us of one of these gems. Anyone with advice on how to stop this action, please help my friend, jq out...

Honestly folks, I derive a tremendous amount of joy from shooting the world around me. It is full of such natural and raw beauty. As I have kept this blog over the past couple of years, many have offered encouraging feedback... what can be done to stop this destruction, which some call "progress". It doesn't have to be this way. It really doesn't.

A SWF participant stopped by to share an image she found where they post an astronomy picture of the day. She said that it made her think of my blog. What an amazing capture it is of a small asteroid interacting with our atmosphere. Check it out at this link. Thanks, Deborah! Very cool contrail left by the asteroid!

Aside from that, I had a monumental first over the weekend. My wonderful gtb's absolute favorite college football team is the Florida State Seminoles. For our anniversary, I surprised him with tickets to the game, which was actually my first time attending a college football game. (Can you imagine the fear that quarterback must be feeling at that moment, with #93 barrelling toward him and no one free to stop the royal pounding??? I feel an OUCH! coming on!!!)
Back to my story... we rode into Tally and parked near the athletics complex and rode the "Spirit Express" bus to Bobby Bowden Field at Doak S. Campbell Stadium. The stadium was PACKED! The fans were WILD! I had a BLAST! FSU won the game, to boot! Of course, you know me, camera crazy! I'll try to hone it down. Weather was absolutely perfect for a football game! It was sunny and comfortable in the early afternoon, and we were needing a light jacket as the sun crept below the edge of the stadium. It couldn't have been better football weather. My wonderful gtb loves it when the tubas run onto the field during the pre-game ceremonies.

I thought the Seminole riding the horse with the spear was an interesting touch. They mean business with these games.

These guys were right in front of us... good that they could put their differences aside and just enjoy the game. I won't mention the fact that they would jump up and scream in each other's faces when their team scored or intercepted.

Those were just miscellaneous cool shots, but check out the referee's expression at the upper right...

The night hurt the quality of the shots, lots of blur, but I thought this shot was cool, where you could see the ball and all the wild football action.

Check out number 57 in that shot, blocking two guys at once. Impressive!

A sea of garnet, chopping things up a bit.

The cutest little fan... besides this one... of course.... and that, my friends, is football, Dewdrop-style.

Have a great day!!!
~Dewdrop

4 comments:

  1. Awesomeness!!! Tremendous job capturing the football action! Makes me feel like I was there. Your seats were pretty good too. I knew you would enjoy it! RTR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... how cute are you two at the end?!?! so happy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, as usual, Ms. Dew!

    I agree with Mike, it made me feel as if I were there. Cool! I have only been to 2 FSU games, one where they played the Gators and the other where they played the Canes. The Gator game, I of course wanted FSU to win, but the Cane game... well, helloooo... I'm from Miami! :D

    I just love the feeling that ya get when ya go.

    Those canopy roads are beautiful - I miss them so much when driving down in Homestead anymore, or when driving up in Bell. Wish I knew how to stop it - no progress doesn't have to mean tear-down. And that graded road - I learned to drive on those kinds of roads. I miss them!!

    Ya done good and the pics are a wonderful bonus.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mike! It was gobs of fun! I am so glad to have experienced it! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics, so much pressure. Messing with you...

    Courtney, Extrememly happy!

    Christine, thanks! It was fun capturing the game from my perspective. My life is viewed through a camera lens...

    As for their "progress"... I wish they could see what they are planning to do in a different light. Beauty ripped from our lives... such tragedy.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...