The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Friday, October 20, 2006

If I were a meteorologist...

You know, all these inaccurate forecasts just burst my bubble. I wasn't terribly excited yesterday because I feel the curse looming on me. As long as I am wanting weather to happen, it won't. Anyone out there afraid of severe weather, come live near me, you won't have to worry about a thing. I'll be PATIENT though. Grrrrr.... I'll tell you what though, if I were a meteorologist, I would be right on because... I'm cool like that.

Cold front 1 is almost here. Cold Front 2 should arrive around the time of my return on Sunday. I hopefully won't have to drive through severe weather. It could create some great photo ops for me, but I don't think anyone will be available to warn me of problems. I don't have a laptop or a handheld radio yet (not that I really know how to use one yet), so I'd rather be safe than chase (Sunday)... you know? Someday...

Today is my trip day. I will be leaving work early so I don't have to drive at night. I tend to get highway hypnosis, so I don't want to encourage it with darkness. It's bad to snore at the wheel, really bad. According to the color report, leaves should be at their peak for colors right now up in North Georgia. I hope to be able to get some really awesome pics.

I took this pic while I was up in Atlanta this past July. I think I took it in Winder. I should be coming into Winder tonight around sunset (if all goes well).

I tried to downsize for this trip, but as hubby pointed out, I wasn't too successful. I tried. At least I'll be prepared for whatever. It's good to be prepared.

73,
~Dewdrop

2 comments:

  1. With the numerous forcast models in use on any given day, add to this the input from on ground observations plus the changing weather patterns over 6 hrs, 12, hrs and need to coordinate with neighboring weather offices and seeing what the SPC is thinking.(Yes it is called "chasing the wind") This is just the beginning for an average day. If you have a local technical college near you and they offer a course in meteorology or weather please try it out. It is at the best calculated guessing. When severe wording is mentioned it is based on real time data data and what possibly will happen. Sometimes the mixture isnt right and nothing happens. But if by chance a one in a million shot occurs and a tornado forms and nothing was mentioned, you are open to lawsuits by the affected parties. This happened down in your neck of the woods a few years ago.(near Birmingham Al and storm victims sued) Even with all our computing ability everything changes and evolves and it can be difficult to forcast that so called full proof forecast. I hope I am not coming across as harsh. Just wanted you to know that it isnt always black and white in the world of weather. If severe weather is your pursuits, be patient it will come. Good luck in your chases and be safe while doing it. Enjoyed your pictures! Nice blog.
    CK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CK, not harsh, just realistic. I can appreciate the need for full disclosure. Lawsuits are an unfortunate by-product of today's society. Heaven forbid coffee should be hot... you know? I sort of figured that the NWS had to cover all their bases, too. Using lots of ambiguous words.

    Thanks for reading my blog and for your advice and compliments. I'll be safe, I promise. Keep checking back. I try to update as often as I can. Hmmm.... that sounds redundant.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...