The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hail?!

I would love to go back to that lake on a good sunset day and capture some more shots. It was so beautiful, peaceful... I loved it.

Well, I just had to share the short term forecast from the AFD. The wording that Jeff used made me lol:
THE AFOREMENTIONED SHORT WAVE TROUGH (CURRENTLY OVER OK) WILL MOVE QUICKLY EAST OVER OUR AREA ON FRIDAY AS A BACKDOOR FRONT OOZES DOWN THE PIEDMONT INTO GA. Isn't that a hoot? Those guys are a trip. They find so many creative ways to express the movement of fronts. That's the first time I've heard of a front oozing down though... lol! The Long Term actually got as little bit interesting. A WEAK COLD FRONT THROUGH OUR AREA EARLY TUESDAY. WE EXPECT A DECENT CHANCE OF RAIN MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT AHEAD OF THIS SYSTEM... BUT WE HAVE TO KEEP AT LEAST SLIGHT POPS FOR OUR ENTIRE AREA THROUGH WEDNESDAY DUE TO SOME LINGERING MOISTURE AND INSTABILITY. IF THE POSITIONS AND INTENSITY OF THIS LOW ARE PERFECT FORECASTS...IT COULD BE INTERESTING NEXT WEEK AS 500 MB TEMPERATURES WILL DROP BELOW -25 DEGREES C ON TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY ACROSS MUCH OF OUR AREA. THERE COULD BE JUST ENOUGH DEEP LAYER SHEAR...Q-G FORCING...AND MOISTURE TO POSE A HAIL THREAT FOR PORTIONS OF MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY. Was that hail that I read in the forecast...? Yes, yes, I read the word "could" in there. I don't get all excited anymore at the mere mention, but it has officially become something to watch.

As for today,
SURFACE HIGH CENTERED OVER THE LOCAL REGION WILL RESULT IN VERY LIGHT WINDS TODAY WITH MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES AND ABOVE NORMAL TEMPS. and that's all Tim has to say about that. Obviously, a man of many words... ;-) (Just messing with you, Tim. You know you're one of my favorite forecasters, even if you don't have a lot to say on these boring weather days.)

Hubby returned to work today and has already had a request to sit in a dunking booth as a fundraiser for the Relay for Life. For some reason, they think he will draw a crowd... Go figure.

I am currently exploring my mobile internet connection options. I am trying to go for effective yet affordable... I have several people who have shared what they do. I would love any input you can offer. I currently use Alltel, and though I am not happy, my contract doesn't expire until July 2008... sigh. I have a terrible phone that I will have to upgrade. My thoughts are now that I can connect my phone to a laptop and dial in to my ISP, which would work everywhere I have reception. If I include the number in my circle of friends, it wouldn't cost me anything. Problem being that it would be SUPER SLOW, and I swore I would never go back to dial up... Now, in areas with Wifi, I could just use a wireless card and tap into those (if they are open), but I don't plan to chase in populated areas, generally, so that won't be an option during the important times. However, another option is to use the phone as a modem, which would allow for a faster connection, still I could use a connection or go wireless with bluetooth technology... problem there would be the added cost, about $40 a month for the internet over phone service. Finally, a wireless card for the PC... I think that runs $80 a month at last check, but it would offer the fastest connection... Again, I would greatly value any and all input that you have to offer. Any experiences you've had... I am in heavy duty cost benefit analysis mode. Plus, I need to get back with Jay about his stuff...

That's all I've got folks.

Ciao,
~Dewdrop

5 comments:

  1. Ok Dew....These are your options.
    Use the connection to the phone..Slow, but all you need is the BR1 scan on Gibson out in the field. It loads quickly and stays pretty up to date. Use it as a guide to position yourself. dont use it as the only thing. If it is 15 miles out and you know the area it willpass through, start watching the sky for hints. This applys to day chases. Night times are tricky and you might have to rely on GR more. The other options? They will cost MONEY. We simply dont have the weather to justify that much of a monthly cost. oh yeah..wifi? wont be out in the open areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for stopping by, and for the helpful info. I am sort of leaning toward the dial up solution (at least in the short term), but as the rate for use of the mobile wireless modems drop in price, it is looking more and more appealing as an option, especially if I'll be chasing on my own. Hard to be the driver and the eyes on the sky at the same time. You know?

    ~Dew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...I love your blog Dew! Thanks for your comment on mine. Have you ever seen a tornado? Great photos. Where did you take the cypress tree photo? Can I use it on my blog if I give you credit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so very much...Nice blog you have there...you must be at least as much of a wx enthusiast as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mike. I took that pic at a nearby lake while I was capturing some sunset shots a few months back. Beautiful lake. Feel free to use them as long as the credit is given... and a link to my blog. Thanks! I am definitely a wx enthusiast. Thanks for the visit. Stay safe.

    ~Dew

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...