The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Sunday, May 20, 2007

Special Weather Statement... South Central Georgia's piece of the Southeast Georgia Wildfires

Well, as I was returning from the grocery store this evening, my weather radio went off to alert us about the Special Weather Statement regarding the smoke from the Southeastern Georgia wildfires near Waycross and the GA/FL line. It actually came as no surprise, as I was slammed, walking out of the grocery store, with the all too familiar odor and limited visibility offered by the smoke plume that has been taunting us during the past few weeks. Unfortunately, it is expected to get worse here before it gets better. The very beautiful (albeit rainless) day has quickly dissolved into a horribly smoke filled environment, not suitable for asthmatics or people with other respiratory issues. I really hope that these horrible fires can be contained, better yet, extinguished soon. I hope that all the prayers for rain, though not scientifically supported, will be answered... It is still not in our forecast even as far as 7 days out, there was some hesitantly mentioned potential for an increase in moisture over next weekend, but there is a lack of confidence, so I won't really say much about that. It's clear at this point that any hint at moisture is going to be a shred a hope, and we do have to keep on hoping and praying that rain will come, abundantly and soon. Oh, by the way, these pictures were taken just outside my garage at home. This is the air we are breathing. It's crazy!

Just an FYI, I got an update from my friend Jess, who made it safely to the plains, where things are starting to heat up (just for her, no doubt). I really hope she has the time of her life with the Twister Sisters this week. I am confident that she will!

Cough, cough,
~Dewdrop

5 comments:

  1. Non rebreather mask, 10 lpm of o2 and call me in the morning ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guys are working on a resolution for us to spare us the smoke by tomorrow...lol. I'm thinking if they can just work a tropical cyclone into the forecast, we'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is a great source for updated information. It is very difficult to get good updates...even from the newspaper websites down there. Perhaps if an American Idol contestant went down there and got their throat irritated, it would make the national news headlines for a week or so. :-)

    Seriously, we're all praying for the skies to open up and pour forth down there. Enough is enough.

    At least June 4th, you and hubby can escape that smoke for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The TPC does have their first wave on the map this morning, let the tracking begin. I sure hope this weather breaks for you soon. Dry and no rain in the forecast up here either. Some more SW winds will bring us a plume as well. I'm so jealous of you Twister Sisters chase.....SO JEALOUS!

    SCM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, Thanks. I try to stay current with it. Can't get more current than what is outside my door at the moment. I am so incredibly disappointed in media sources. The things they find to be news-worthy versus what really matters... It's frustrating. Perhaps, we should invite Sanjaya down to the smoke filled region, so we can get proper coverage. Enough is enough, though. Let it rain!

    Mikey, Are you serious?! I haven't checked the TPC yet, so I am totally in the dark about that. I'll have to go check it out. This is pretty exciting!!! I keep telling folks that I can probably make room in my luggage... lol You'll just have to pay the over 50lbs fee.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...