The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Tornado Watch!!!!

Yesterday's Sunset. I was also pleased to see several patches of cumulus yesterday.

...SLIGHT RISK FOR SEVERE STORMS LATER TODAY...

...SHOULD SEE AN ACTIVE DAY AS THERE ARE TWO CONVECTIVE AREAS OF CONCERN THAT WILL IMPACT OUR CWA. THE FIRST IS A SQUALL LINE PRESENTING MOVING EASTWARD ACROSS SOUTHERN MS/AL AND A COMPLEX OF STORMS THAT HAS DEVELOPED IN THE NORTHEASTERN GULF. SPC HAS OUR ENTIRE FA HIGHLIGHTED IN A SLIGHT RISK FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH THE MAIN THREAT CONTINUING TO BE LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING DOWN BURST WINDS. HOWEVER... WITH INCREASING LOW LEVEL SHEAR THERE IS IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY FOR ISOLATED SUPERCELLS AND TORNADOES. Hey, I am proud to say that I saw that before I read it in the discussion. And, hey, it looks like it's more of a southern area impact, sorry Tim. The question is where will those two convective systems merge. I might just have me a storm. Just watching it all on GR to see what comes of it, listening to my non-SAME weather radio, which is annoyingly alerting on everything within a thousand miles of here... not really, but it sounds like it. It goes off every 3 minutes or so. My SAME capable radio doesn't work... and yes, I set it up right. It just doesn't alert, period. Here I am, just waiting and watching. It should be something. My optimism is growing with each passing moment. Check it: .SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT... SPOTTER ACTIVATION REQUESTED FOR SOUTHEAST ALABAMA...THE EASTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE...THE FLORIDA BIG BEND...AND EXTREME SOUTH GEORGIA. It doesn't get much more southern in Georgia than where I am. ;-)

There are possibly injuries with what they suspect might have been a tornado in Louisiana early this morning. I actually heard about a hotel being moved... interesting. My damage assessment mind is chomping at the bit.

Hubby is kindly trying to give me a window. He brought a mirror to my office that he is going to hang at an angle so it'll pick up the west view out my neighbor's window. How awesome is that?! Thanks, hubby! Now, I can spot from my desk.

I am also registering to become a member of ARRL. With that, I will also join ARES. It seems like the next logical step. Jay recommended some on-line emergency communications courses for me, so I'll see how Mickey Mouse they really are. Jay will also be my eyes if I go out today. Thanks, Jay. I appreciate it. I need all the help I can get.

To all those going out in this, stay safe. Live to chase another day.

12:15 Update:
WHILE UPSTREAM STORMS OVER NWRN PORTIONS OF WW ARE MORE COMPLEX WITH A PSEUDO SQUALL LINE NOW EVOLVING AS FLOW VEERS THROUGH A DEEPER LAYER. IN THE SHORT TERM...IT APPEARS STRONGEST LOW LEVEL WARM ADVECTION...AND GREATEST TORNADO POTENTIAL...WILL REMAIN WITH MORE DISCRETE STORMS AHEAD OF SQUALL LINE. which is consistent with the significant tornado parameter that I just learned about...

3:30 Update: Just had a first band of rain pass through. Some lightning, not significant.
ULTIMATELY...MODELS SUGGEST THAT THE LEAD SYSTEM WILL COME NCREASINGLY IN PHASE WITH A SHORT WAVE IMPULSE NOW DIGGING THROUGH THE MIDDLE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY...WITHIN A WEAK BELT OF WESTERLIES EMANATING FROM THE CANADIAN ROCKIES. WHEN AND JUST HOW THIS OCCURS IS A SOURCE OF CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY... CONTRIBUTING TO RATHER UNFOCUSED AND SOMEWHAT UNCERTAIN SEVERE POTENTIAL ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN STATES LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING... PARTICULARLY IN LIGHT OF LIMITED MOISTURE RETURN OFF THE STILL MODIFYING GULF OF MEXICO.

4:30 Update: Nickel sized hail reported by a reliable source (I'm pretty sure Kelly knows hail) in Tallahassee, occured at about 3:45. Cool. It's such a fast mover that by the time a line looks solid, it's moved on from what it really is. Looks like the bulk of it has passed, still small thunderstorm cells popping up. I get totally different images from the different sites, so I don't know exactly what we have. Doesn't appear to be anything worth chasing. Game's been cancelled though. Shocker.

A (updated) less excited,
~Dewdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dew comment, please...