The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Monday, April 30, 2007

Atkinson Fire making things smoky...

The air here today is thick with smoke and getting thicker as I sit and work on this blog. My clothing has absorbed the smell of the smoke, which is a strong aroma, nauseating, in fact. My asthmatic lungs are desperate for fresh air. Everyone in my office is coughing. The smoke from the Atkinson fire has arrived here (the 3000 acre Atkinson fire started up on Saturday). You can see from my pics how visibility has been affected. The airport here is reporting 1/4 mile visibility... These pics are from outside my office door. I couldn't stay out too long because it really is difficult to breathe in it.
It's actually burning my lungs. Here is a link to a USA Today article that references both fires. The good news of the day is that the Waycross fire is about 70% contained. Here is a satellite image of the fires... Atkinson is burning hot right now... lots of smoke... I have outlined the area where the fires are. The one on the left side is the Atkinson fire. Of course, as forecasted, we are under a Red Flag Warning. Oh great, smoke is now creeping into the office... not a well sealed building. (cough cough) Cool part in all this is that I got to make a spotter report, which contributed to a Short Term Forecast. Glad to help...

Honoring Air Quality Awareness Week (interesting irony in that, huh?), the NWS has posted an article about Two Types of Pollutants.

Update: Just noticed a dense smoke advisory for here... Click on the link for more information.

Let me get out of here...
~Dewdrop

5 comments:

  1. You might have a temp break by Wed. forecast surfuce winds should be blowning the mess towards the east!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm hoping for... This smoke is hitting my asthma hard, whenever I go outside, and I have mild asthma. Can't imagine how hard it is on folks with severe asthma. Hopefully, the rain that needs to arrive Thursday will come... fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to Moultrie , where the air is clean!!...for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you to have rain and favorable winds, Dew. I had an internship in SE GA (Brunswick, St Sinon's area). I never saw anything like this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You kiddin' Rick, I'm not coming that close to the Rick Curse. I don't just want clean air, I want rain.

    Mike, Neither have I, but really neither has Georgia. It's wild.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...