The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Saturday, April 28, 2007

Extreme Drought conditions now in South Georgia

I decided to share this picture that I took back in November, I believe. We were driving home, from up in the Atlanta area when this little patch of "irridescent cloud" (I've also heard it referred to as a "sundog", but I haven't found anything conclusive.) caught my eye. I begged hubby to stop and get into a better location for me to shoot it. When he finally found a good spot, it had faded some, but it was still beautiful. I felt inspired to share it today in light of our lack of moisture... because here you have it folks, we are officially experiencing extreme drought conditions in my neck of the woods... I knew it was inevitable, given the weather void I've existed in, but it's official now. I am now accepting donations... you got rain? We want it! Send it on down, buckets, barrels, tankers... This, of course, makes the fire threat that much more grim, and with the Waycross area currently experiencing tragic loss of homes, resulting from the widespread fire out that way, it is a reality that hits scarily close to home. Here is a satellite image of the smoke from the Waycross Fire... Unfortunately, the smoke is expected to creep back into this area Monday and Tuesday... and no relief in sight... Dry air accompanying a high pressure system moving in will keep POPS at ZERO through the short term for this area. Sadly, the climate prediction center isn't optimistic that we will have much rain during the next 14 days, either. My shower this morning was more of a trickle falling out of the faucet, lacking the necessary pressure to offer a decent stream... I'm getting a little nervous about that... Looks like it might be time to see about digging a deeper well.

Weatherwise, not too much going on today in the CONUS, a slight risk area outlined over far western Texas... but that's about it... I have had a busy morning, and in fact, just interupted my post for tea party, where they didn't even serve any tea! Go figure! Thought it was implied in the name that tea would be a factor... oh well, I'll just have to serve up some chai for myself.

I was talking with hubby yesterday about the "Must-do-before-I-die" list that I have made for myself. At the rate things are being wiped off my list (this is not a complaint), I am concerned that I might run out of things to shoot for (what happens then, no goals? No way!). I will be accepting suggestions for inclusion on my list... So far, my list looks like this:

DEW'S "MUST-DO-BEFORE-I-DIE" LIST

1. Plains Chase (coming up in June [Insert H.D.D. here])
2. Chasing a Hurricane (plan to do this summer if they aren't all fish, like last year. Oh, and if I happen to meet Jim Cantore, while doing that, I wouldn't be heart broken...)
3. Skydiving (Did indoor skydiving the week before last, next step is a doozie, but it's still on the list, as such.)
4. Getting my (...ehem... non-existent) passport stamped

The list is almost depleted, which is awesome because it means that I have been living my life, but I need to have goals. I'm thinking I could safely add a trip to the moon... and not have that one wiped off for a while... but I need fresh ideas... I will gladly consider any and all suggestions.

Oh, and I am also looking at laptops right now for use in chasing, so I'd appreciate any feedback about brands, modem options, memory, disk drive space... so many things to consider. I want to hear what you like and what you don't like... I just want to be able to check the radar and download pics. General Reid has gotten me off to a great start with the brainstorming on this, but I'd like as much input as possible.

Today is cleaning day (and here I am procrastinating)... long overdue. I have absolutely no weather to distract me, and hubby's not around to mess things up behind me, so I should be able to make some significant progress, if I can just tear myself away from this blasted computer.

OK, OK, I am stepping away from the blog.

Have a great day!
~Dewdrop

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hurricane chasing season... we might not see one inch of rain until then, Dew. I probably will not get down to 50 lbs for the tornado chase...but keep me in mind for the hurricane. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's that I hear... someone working up the nerve for a hurricane chase?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you asked for input as far as laptop? Ask 50 different weather nerds and you'll get 50 different answers. :-) Here is my personal $0.02:

    I'm running a Gateway MX6454. I got it for under $1000 after swapping out the slower 120gb 5400rpm hardrive for a 100gb 7200rpm. It came with a very nice package of installed features that made similar Dell models significantly more expensive.

    It has four (count them 4!) USB ports. I run two of those fpr GPS and WxWorx. Sometimes I run a keyboard light in the other one or for a flash card reader to offload pics frmo the camera. That leaves me a spare in case I have problems with ony of the ports.

    It also comes with a firewire port too..nice for video and sync to a digital video camera. It also as a 15.4" screen which I prefer as a minimum. This is especially useful for GPS. Finally, it comes with 2gb memory which allows me to run all of my toys with no problems. :-) It comes with built-in wireless too. It runs a dual AMD processor (Turion 64) which helps on the price. I've had no problems or complaints. It runs great.

    The mouspad is very important. I love the one on my model because it is very accessable and easy to use. The click buttons are big and easy to find. This is important as I chase solo about 99% of the time. (others tend to want to SEE tornadoes rather than evade them...lol)

    The glossy screen is abit of a problem, but this allows better display in ambiant daylight compared to the older screen types. But, reflection is a problem sometimes. I'm trying to find a good overlay to reduce the reflective glare.

    Of course, the price is important. A chasing laptop is subject to some abuse...espcially dust....LOTS of it. So, that's a reason for me not to get outrageous on a laptop. I do take good care of mine and it gets a de-dusting session regularly. :-)

    So, quick checklist:
    1) Minimum 2 USB ports....try to get more than that.

    2) Minimum 1gb memory..bare minimum. I'd suggest 2gb

    3) As much HD as you can get for pics/vido/software/MP3s (I use my computer as my mp3 player). Try to get 7200 rpm drive..important for video stuff. If not 5400 is fine.

    4) Built-in wireless

    5) At least one PCMCIA slot for a cellular modem card or other device.

    6) Go for 15.4" screen minimum. You'l appreciate this for running StreetAtlas GPS.

    7) If you do want to do video, go for a firewire port...or you can buy one for the PCMCIA slot later. I've heard it suggested that a built-in Firewire port is better. Don't know why...just what I was told. :-)

    I don't think I left anything out. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that certainly was a thorough response. ;-) Wow! Thanks! Not only does he attack villains with his sling psychrometer, but offering valuable advice, too. Had any problems with your Gateway?

    Got a recommendation for the Sony Vaio... Heard anything about that one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-)

    No problems with the Gateway...had it since December. I'm running XP though because I'm fearful of Vista. I'll mess with that after chase season.

    Sony Vaio is good as are Dells. Staying with a major name is always good I think. I went with Gateway because I got alot more options for the price. I would definitely stay away from HP at ALL costs. :-) I think LG has laptops, but don't know squat about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had some tell me to stay away from Dell. I am definitely after the best value for the cost, and I definitely want it before June.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spent some time doing some comparison shopping tonight... ehem, this morning... and it definitely appears that Gateway throws in a lot of the bells and whistles that I will want, with an already lower than Sony and Dell base price. Unless anyone can offer a compelling reason why I shouldn't go with Gateway... I might just be taking Steve's advice.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...