The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Big High, little low...

Well now, Carolina Mike is at least conceding the win. He sent me this link. Now, that is someone who can accept when he is wrong. Great article in my favor! Appreciate it Mike.

The tropics are really starting to try to come alive now. Have a couple of convectively charged lows down there that are being watched. Models are putting a little something in the Gulf for the end of the week. It'll probably be a hybrid or extratropical, but it's there (on the models). There's a wave off of Africa that shouldn't do anything, but it's there. The Pacific has got their first named storm with TS Alvin. Land isn't threatened, but it's there. Lots of stuff to keep our eyes on.

Driving to work this morning was awful for the smoke. It was exceptionally thick, and, in fact, the weather radio actually went off this morning with yet another SPS (I guess they decided not to do away with those afterall...) Looks like limited visibilities could cause some local road closures.

TONIGHT THROUGH THU...THE SMOKE EVOLUTION AND CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT REPEATS WITH S CENTRAL GA WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE THE WORST
VISIBILITIES... DIPPING BELOW A MILE FROM ABOUT 08Z TO 15Z.
I will be certain to avoid the interstate. Apparently, there are cirrus clouds in the local area... who knew? I say that but yesterday, I actually saw the sky and the un-obscured sun briefly. It was a nice change, but as you can imagine, it did not last long.

It looks like the southern plains are still troughing it. As that trough moves this way though, it should help break down our ridiculously persistent (I'm not kidding, the thing has got roots) ridge and clear the way for some much-needed long-overdue and certain-to-arrive-as-soon-as-the-Dew-is-out-of-town precipitation. If I have to leave town for us to get much needed rainfall, I am happy to take one for the team. (Wink, wink... chasing in the plains does happen to be a nice bonus... only 5 more days! I am getting a kick out of non-weather enthusiast's reaction to news of our upcoming trip. Shock... you mean like in that movie "Twister"? Cool!) I just hope that they do let me come back into Georgia afterwards... That's all right, Steve will hook me up with my very own room in the SDS Treatment Facility if they ban me. As long as we don't let Ma Nature know I'm there, we should be all right.

I spent 7 hours with the local repeater expert yesterday getting my mobile and handheld set up for use virtually anywhere. He loaded all the repeater frequencies on the 2 m and 70 cm, so I should be all set for anywhere in the CONUS, just locate the nearest repeater's frequency, and I'll be live. Scott rocks! My portable (and mobile, but I won't be bringing that) also doubles as a weather radio and gives alerts, so I won't have to carry as much bulk with me to the plains. It's a good thing, because space is limited, and I'm not exactly a light packer... This is going to be a challenge of just how much I can pack into a duffel bag. I am SO ready!

Ta-Ta!
~Dewdrop

2 comments:

  1. I dont think i could handle going without the sun so long, kudoes to you!As for packing lite good luck.
    just remember what you pack you have to haul to your room(sometimes there is a second floor with no elevator)
    Oh yea your man is going.....
    load up!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a duffel with wheels... so I will hopefully be OK. Is that cheating???

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...