The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Sunday, May 27, 2007

Smoke, drought and more...

Well, the SPS from the NWS was introduced in a different way... more as an article of interest, than a special weather alert, and I think that is a fabulous idea! It covers the issues of the smoke and in this case makes some connections to typical Memorial Day activities and their implicit risks with regard to current conditions (well written, Mark), so people who may not be familiar with the situation (if there are any of those people left) or those people traveling to the area, have the opportunity to be informed, yet it's not treated either as a breaking news story. Yes, folks, it is especially important that you remain extra vigilant, as you carry out your Memorial Day fun... Barbeques are great, but make sure that the fire stays contained. Our vegetation is exceptionally dry, so be cautious, and yes, fireworks are a lot of fun, but they are especially dangerous in such dry and drought conditions. Let's just skip the fireworks this time... OK? This smoke has become a daily routine, and it is rather monotonous to say, guess what... SMOKE! I think the guys made a good choice with the change of how the weather statement was issued.

It broke my heart to read it, though I already knew, but the guys have officially forecasted persistence with regard to the smoke. I might need to get myself one of those sun lamps like they use in Alaska. Apparently, yesterday evening the smoke began to push to our north, but looking outside this morning quickly confirmed clearly that it's back... The guys have also put out an updated hydrologic update for our region detailing the severe to extreme drought conditions... yeah, we would be in the extreme conditions section...

For the long term, that ECMWF is still showing tropical action in the Gulf for next weekend (the future TS Barry? fingers, toes and eyes crossed). The GFS, in previous days, had been suggesting a similar scenario, but is keeps any developing low in the Caribbean. Bottom line, all eyes to the Tropics.

I have decided that if I am going to be denied adequate sun, that I will post my own pics of what the sun used to look like. I will try to post a picture of the sun daily until the sun comes back. Maybe, that will help. I am optimistic that I might get some terrific sun shots in the plains too... that is if my plains trip isn't cancelled. I was disappointed to learn last night that the GFS is placing a ridge over the plains for the start of my "chase days". Doggone GFS! It better be wrong. Sigh...

Chaser convergence occurs this evening. For now, I am going to get ready for church and start my day.

Hope everyone has a fantastic Sunday!
~Dewdrop

5 comments:

  1. Wish I could of made it up there today, but I already had plans. I'll be in the Jax next month, so maybe some of us could get together for lunch one day.

    Have fun this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan to me. If I am available... Sounds like fun.

    Ugh, June is crazy for me though. I will be gone for the chase week (again, if it's not cancelled) June 3rd - 10th. Then, the weekends of the 16th and the 23rd, I am taking care of getting Mini-Dew to and from camp. Looks like my only weekend available in June is the 30th... Well, perhaps a late dinner... so I can make the two hour drive after work, or we can split the difference and meet in Lake City.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lake City will be good, provided the price of gas doesnt go crazy again. Late June is good though. Maybe we will have a really good reason for some convergence. Say a huge low pressure system that has a name that might be passing through the area!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no - I would make the haul westward closer to VAL. Will have to see how things pan out in June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a plan, Jeff. Let's see how things pan out. Lake City would be great! It would be great to be able to meet for dinner. Of course, if it's regarding a named low pressure system, I'm thinking Lake City won't have too much to offer...

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...