The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Monday, June 18, 2007

We'll have no passing in these parts... and a badlands photo collection...

I am really starting to feel very photography-deprived. I was looking through my camera to see if I took anything this weekend, and was disappointed to come up totally blank... sheesh. I had a busy weekend, though. We drove up to North Georgia to drop Mini-Dew at camp for the week. On our way home, the Georgia State Patrol decided to pick on us. While we were following another family back down, we got stuck behnd this really slow Toyota P/U. This guy was going about 35 mph in a 55mph zone. Traffic was backed up for miles. The family ahead of us got their shot to pass, and they did, and we waited for our shot, dashed yellow line on our side, no approaching traffic, cleared quickly... apparently not quicly enough. The GSP decided that it was an improper pass and wanted us to know that several people had been killed locally doing that same thing... and how dare we do that with a passing lane coming up ahead. Darn our crystal ball for not letting us know about the approaching passing lane! Anyway, he was fair enough to let us go with a warning, but sheesh.

Anyways, enough about that... let's look at the weather... Well, the main action this morning appears to be in eastern Texas, as they have had a Tornado watch and some warned cells this morning. There is a slight risk today over the plains... but over in that hard to chase in section. That's no good. Looks like our main event will arrive on Wednesday, but only as an isolated event with damaging microbursts and perhaps a brief tornado. We shall see. Speaking of tornadoes, there were a handful yesterday over in the Northern Plains and one in Central Texas. Looks like the SPC has set up the TX PH for a slight risk tomorrow. I hope that pans out... I think chasers over there are getting a little frustrated... ;-) (Isn't that right, Stevoid?)

Our HWO makes mention of hail and heavy rains and frequent lightning this afternoon into the evening... coolness. We'll see if Bryan is right. Here's hoping. The forecast discussion offered a great deal of hope to me... bring it...

MOISTURE LEVELS WILL REMAIN HIGH AND WE WENT WITH LIKELY POPS ONCE AGAIN. WITH PWATS OVER 2 INCHES FOR A FEW PERIODS, WE COULD GET SOME DECENT RAINFALL TOTALS BETWEEN THIS AFTERNOON AND WED...GOOD NEWS FOR THIS DROUGHT STRICKEN AREA.
I guess I'd better go.

I hope you enjoy my photo study of the badlands. I enjoyed the badlands so much during our drive through SD. Awesomeness!

Have a lovely and hopefully rainy day!
~Dewdrop

12 comments:

  1. Nice photos Dew...I've never been out there. Looks like a decent chance for rain coming up. Y'all might have a better shot at significant amounts than us. The GFS showed a nice blob over SW GA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard that forecasting term before. I hope the blob impacts our area. GFS is usually pretty decent in short term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blobs on the GFS are good things if you like rain!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sort of like getting excited about "all the pretty colors" on Gibson Ridge... huh? I can dig the blobs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...since we are 18" below normal in rainfall so far this year I have been reduced to getting excited about colored blobs on computer weather models...so sad!!! Do you need any more evidence that we are wx geeks?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all excited about the colorful blobs... certifiable wx geeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOOOOOOO..Ahhhhhhhhh....;-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sort of a compliment, huh, Rick?

    I highly recommend that anyone who is able to, visit the badlands. What an amazing landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Their were blobs all over my area today, can u guess where the only grey area was........

    ReplyDelete
  10. i cant believe it....rain is headed my way!!!! whooo hoooo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't even tell you how excited I was today to have to use my windshield wipers on the way into work... you know things are sad when we are excited about just rain. I have heard you guys are expecting about 2". Not a drought-buster, but it will definitely help.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...