The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Monday, September 24, 2007

Do we have Karen, Lorenzo and Melissa in the making???

I took these pictures Friday when I was returning home from work... I was actually sad taking these pics because TD 10 was supposed to be dropping bands of convection on me, but no such luck. Not even a flash of CG. You see the sky... so unfair. TD 10 turned out to be a definite deviant. The models were way off. TD 10, which never became the Jerry that it was expected to become... didn't even make it close to Louisiana where they were all ready with their "state of emergency". Nope, TD 10 quickly moved inland at the western end of the Florida Panhandle with minimal winds. Not too impressive really. Oh well. You win some and you lose some. Glad everyone is OK though... life and property preserved. Yesterday, STD 11/STS Jerry became Tropical Storm Jerry. He is soon expected to become extratropical as he enters the cold North Atlantic environment. So much for Tropical Storm Jerry, the fish. He never really stood a chance. The good news for the weather weenies of the world is that the tropics are very much alive. There are three areas of interest out there that I am keeping an eye on...

Areas of Interest in the Atlantic Basin...
Invest 94L - has now emerged into the Gulf of Mexico and is building some nice convection now. Though it is currently not in a favorable environment for development, upper level winds are forecast to weaken some, which will open the door for some development. At this time, it remains disoragnized.

Invest 96L - is in the middle of the Atlantic coming away from the Cape Verde Islands. This area has gotten some nice organization overnight, and will likely be classified as TD 12 this afternoon or tomorrow. I am rather impressed with the way this one is coming together. It actually looks tropical, which we haven't been seeing too much of lately. The NHC refers to this as a "Classic Looking Cape Verde System".

Invest 97L - is trying... located off of the Windward Islands, Invest 97L looks like it is building some convection, and it is trying to get some circulation up. I think it's just jealous of 96L, personally. lol

Aside from that, the local weather is officially blah. I woke up to a thick blanket of fog covering the entire area, which has now finally lifted. I struggled to see Mini-Dew at her bus stop, it was so thick.

The guys have the graphical HWO out there and running. It's pretty cool... only problem is that it's all green (meaning NONE of the weather elements are expected)... Green is the color of the Dewvoid. When I talk about my gHWO going all green, you know it's a sad day in Dew's world. Dry is the word of the day... sigh. It's OK though. Beautiful skies and warm weather have their place too. I'm just not a huge fan, but you know how that goes.

I hope you have a lovely Monday!
~Dewdrop

12 comments:

  1. Special statement just released on 96L....it looks like the best CV storm I have seen in a long time. Could get interesting, but has a long way to go.

    SCM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon my ignorance, Dew, but do you know what the NHC means by this "Invest" business with these things we used to call tropical waves? That is, besides the fact that we weather geeks invest so much time watching these things attempt to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mikey. I'll check it out. I know that one looked fab this AM. We could have Karen soon. So much action.

    Mike, I hope that someone else who reads will be able to shed some light on that. Pardon my ignorance, as well.

    We do "invest" a ton of time on these things... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have asked the question about invest in a comment on Alabamawx.com. One of the other skywatchers there said that it was an old Navy term that might have something to do with investigation or worthy of investing time to research. He wasn't sure. I also asked the folks at weatherbrains. Maybe I'll learn soon. I scare myself sometimes with geekness....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike has let the secret out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, that definitely sounds plausible. I have no issues with weather geekness. Keep it coming.

    Rick, What secret?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome sky pictures! I thought of you this afternoon when I looked up and saw all these enormous clouds in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scott says bring on the Hurricane Party and some of you can stay in the travel trailer outside so you can experience the tornados in Southern style! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tell Scott, thanks.... (don't miss the sarcasm there).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, I love sky shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That we invest to much time watching weather, thus the term "invest"

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...