The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Chaser convergence fast approaching

Well, after a late start because one of my many alarm clocks malfunctioned, I missed the tropical update, which is usually my preview for what's going on... so I guess I will check out the NOAA site first off. Here's what I see there:

There are no tropical cyclones at this time.
Bummer. The mess over Southern Florida (Invest 90L) is expected to continue on its track to the GOM, where it could develop into a subtropical or tropical cyclone over the next couple of days, so perhaps, the upcoming chaser convergence could be altered to involved a tropical storm intercept... or more. ;-) This morning's satellite view is impressive, as it seems to be building some good convection over the warm Gulf waters. I like it. It would be pretty awesome if we could get a chaser covergence at the same time as a tropical storm/hurricane landfall. Let's go chase a tropical cyclone, guys. Yes, I know, I am not normal.

Seriously, the big story in life right now is the upcoming chaser convergence. Looks like an opportunity is fast approaching for us to potentially have up to 6 members of the Southern Weather Brigade in one place at the same time. You know, the stars have to align just right, but it is not all that far-fetched that it could happen. Even if we can't get all of us together, it is sure to be a great time! My big hope is that we will have a chasetunity and with some chance POPS, I am not overly optimistic, but if nothing else, Carolina Mike and I can scope out some good chase spots in anticipation of his move here next month.

As for local weather, it looks like the outer convective "bands" of Invest 90L, which could become Noel in the near future... are looping around up this way. I am expecting some scattered showers and thunderstorms today and tomorrow. Actually, we've got chance storms in the forecast through Saturday... chasetunity!!! Yesterday and today, we have already experienced increased wind from the circulation down south, nice breezy fall weather. It feels wonderful!!! So funny, I just went into the AFD, and I immediately recognized it as Kelly's before even scrolling down the screen. You know you're a weather geek when you recognize the author of the AFD just at a glance... I love what he has to say about 90L:
I`M HARD PRESSED TO FIND A LOW PRESSURE CENTER. (which is better distinguishable this morning)NEVERTHELESS... 24 HOUR PRESSURE FALLS IN THIS REGION ON THE ORDER OF 4 TO 5 MILLIBARS HAVE BEEN RECORDED...SO SOMETHING IS GOING ON.
Something is going on. I love it. Though most of the models are in agreement with regard to 90L, he mentioned that the NAM is "behaving strangely". How cool is Kelly?! Bottom line is that 90L is a slow developer. Looks like moisture is headed this way... Though our forecast is highly dependent upon the actions of 90L, moisture remains in the forecast for now. The long term forecast is up in the air now, as some models are presenting another weak surface low in the Southeastern GOM a little later on, which GFS has impacting us. Cool. Consistency is lacking, so that is not an official position... it stands as a "low confidence forecast". Kelly rocks. I learn so much from his AFDs, and I just love that! Thanks, Kelly!

Oh, taking Rick's lead, look what I got... It's an Oregon Scientific Emergency Weather Hazard Radio, WR601. It's a really cool weather radio with 6 county programmable SAME technology, and I can wear it!!! (Click on the pic for more details.) Am I a weather weenie, or what?! ;-)

That's all I've got for now.

Ciao,
~Dewdrop

12 comments:

  1. you wana be just like me....;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immitation is the best form of flattery. If you've got something good... Good news is that I spent about $20 less than you!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted one of those too...but...is that the model that was recalled, though? One of the Oregon Scientific Wx radio models was recalled...I need to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it was not one of the recalled radios. Click here for more information about the recalled models. cha cha cha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good...cha cha cha...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not kidding, since I just took Rick's word for it. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am good....uh cha cha cha?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Mike, we got Rick doing it now!!! LOL! Cha cha cha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cha fa la....ah ha ha... fa la la

    dang it...I need to practice!

    I'm gonna get me one of thems radios for sure. Very nice! Gratz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep working on it Steve, you will get there!!! Just wait to you learn the Happy Dew Dance, that will take lots of practice. You definitely want to get the cha cha cha down before then, so you can focus... lol

    Wait and see how Rick and I enjoy our radios before you get one. I will definitely give updates. Thanks! I can't wait until it gets here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will have to ask my dear old Dad about the cha cha cha....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cha cha cha. You let your dad know he is onto something with that!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...