The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Sunday, December 30, 2007

The reverse Dewvoid... sigh...When Weather Changed History...

First off, let me just say that I was on serious weather strike from Thursday afternoon on... didn't talk to anyone, didn't watch TWC, didn't even touch a computer... So, I was not "in the know" at any point. It was nice. I based my weather preparations on what I knew ahead of time, and that was that. It was a nice break, and I had a phenomenal weekend. As you know, Mini-Dew and I headed to Orlando and actually went to the Animal Kingdom. The weather was PERFECT for that. Friday, we sat by the pool at the resort, where there was NO POOL BOY (oh, the horror)! I was, however, attacked by a swarm of angry sea gulls who apparently thought that Mini-Dew's abandoned french fries belonged to them after sending in their duck decoys (evil sea gulls). I swear it was just like a scene out of the Hitchcock movie. It was insane, but I had a blast. I video taped it, but I haven't had much luck with the video feature, and I am way too tired to fool with that right this second... maybe tomorrow. Saturday, we went to the park. It was packed... of course, but it was great fun, especially that Mount Everest coaster. That was a thrill and a half, and I really enjoyed it... wanted to dew it again, actually. Saw the parade, did all the touristy stuff, including waiting in line for two hours to ride on the safari. Here are just a few pictures from the trip... Wouldn't you know it??? Of course, shortly after leaving, I now learn (thanks, David) that the area near my house was placed under a tornado watch. Surprised? Didn't think so. The big news came in today, though. I got a call from Rick, who intercepted a funnel cloud, or at least a low wall cloud (you're welcome, Rick. Glad I could hook you up by being out of town and allowing reverse Dewvoidosis to kick in). He also posted about this on our team site. Great intercept, Rick!!! I wish I could have seen it, but you know how that goes... had I been there, it wouldn't have been. Of course, even the squall that was hanging on died when it realized I was back. All weather ceased when I returned to the area.

Aside from that, I was told about what appears to be a pretty awesome new show to start airing on January 6th on The Weather Channel (TWC), called Feel free to click on the logo for the press release about the new show. The first episode is one that is of particular interest to me. It regards the events of January 28, 1986, that fateful day when the space shuttle Challenger exploded. I remember that day vividly, like most people. I was with my class watching on TV, when it fell from the sky. On that day, I decided that I wanted to become an astronaut. I actually went so far as to apply and be accepted at Georgia Tech in the field of aerospace engineering... could have become a rocket scientist... that was my plan; God had something else in store for me. Back to the show though, during that first episode, they will discuss the suspicion that the colder than normal weather played a part in the failure of the O-rings. I definitely plan to watch that, and, of course, I plan to offer a review once I have seen it. Here is a preview of "When Weather Changed History": SORRY, VIDEO WON'T WORK FOR ME... SURPRISE, SURPRISE... Since I am exhausted, and have a late night planned for tomorrow... (Happy New Year, btw!)

Oh, but before I go, let me just offer a public apology to Beau for jumping to the conclusions that the editors were trying to force into my head. I was more harsh with my wording than I should have been (with regard to the Twister Sisters episode 3 regarding the part about law enforcement), not knowing the facts, and I apologize for that. No, Beau, I don't think you are an evil law breaker, and please don't anyone else think that. Thanks!

Good night,
~Dewdrop

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you all had a great time. :) From rocket scientist to storm chaser...you are adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is an adventure, Beth Ellen. I am just trying to enjoy the ride. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well in the spirit of "Detentes" I will also like wise apologize to Beau.It was a cheap shot for the people to edit it like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that day well. I was very sick in the infirmary at the University of Alabama. When one of the nurses told me what happened I was really medicated and I thought she was joking. Then I dragged myself into the TV room with the other sick students and we watched it there. What a sad day that was.

    Happy New Year, Dew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sad day, Mike. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The same thing happens to me when it comes to severe weather and its relation to me being out of town. In my forecast group one of the common factors that affect a forecast is whether Steve will be out of town. Two instances this past year alone were the El Reno, OK tornado and the historic Greensburg weekend. I'm not sorry I missed the latter though.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve, we really should get compensated by the weather service for the forecasting advantage our presence (or lack of) provides... lol!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...