The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Twister Sisters Episode 4... A Tribute to Greensburg

(Borrowed image from the WEtv website, linked through pic) I thought last night's airing, the 4th episode of the Twister Sisters show, was very well done. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. It's unfortunate how much it was like my chasecation week in the fact that they didn't get to see much, but there were some great attributes to the episode. First, I loved how they spent the first part of the show spotlighting the damage and aftermath of the Greensburg tornado. I was particularly struck by the raw emotion exhibited by some of the chasers. It helped to demonstrate the fact that storm chasers love the beauty of the storms, the awesome power of the storms, but they are still compassionate towards the victims. Storm chasers don't want storms to destroy towns, don't want the storms to injure and kill, don't want people to lose all their possessions. Most are trained spotters, who report information to the weather service and authorities, so warnings can be issued in a timely manner to aid in the protection of life and property. Storm chasers respect the weather, understanding the awesome power it has to destroy. A true force of nature... act of God (great song by Daniel Mackenzie, btw... never actually heard a song that mentions instability, moisture, lift and shear... a true weather geek jam... available on the Twister Sisters soundtrack, yes, seriously...) Bottom line, storms will happen whether they are chased or not. We don't make the storms, we just appreciate their awesomeness. As for the incredible shelf cloud they showed... yep, pretty sure they spliced in one that I saw on my chasecation... hey maybe, they'll splice in a tornado that I didn't actually see for next week's episode. That would be cool, but I assure you that the Dewvoid took care of any potential weather during my adventure in the plains... I LOVED how they were showing where Brad and MaryLynn were, and they arbitrarily threw in some "other storm chasers'" (they, who shall not be named) tornadic encounter just 5 days prior (it was a pretty awesome tornado though!!!) Beau and Eric got along better for this episode, but it looked like they were trying to create some drama with Brad and MaryLynn... got to love REALity. Again... I enjoyed this episode. Stay tuned next week, January 8th, will be the one showing my fabulous chasecation.

EPISODE 5

Dewdrop has always had a passion for wild weather, a passion Mr. X just doesn't get. So she talks him into taking a tour with the Twister Sisters, hoping that she can realize a life-long dream, and that he can get a clue.

Joining them on this trip is Mike Lizakowski, who saw his first tornado on a tour with the Sisters in 2003. The chase starts in Fremont, Nebraska and ends in Coralville, Iowa.
Here is a link to the blog about the show on WEtv's site.I had a terrific New Year's celebration on Monday night... some great fun and friendship. We really had a great time welcoming 2008. One big thing was that I sacrificed the old rickety swing... you remember that one that I ran over this summer with ol' red...? Yeah, it's never quite been the same (whenever I moved it to mow, it would snap, crackle and pop, and sitting on it was unthinkable)... and we needed fire wood for the pit, so that old swing won't be jumping out in front of my mower anymore. So there you have it. It was really cool seeing how the leftover fireworks boxes changed the color of the fire.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

The big story of today is the COLD!!! No, no... let me reiterate that...
IT IS COLD!!!
I woke up to 32 degree temps here in South Georgia, with 20-30 mph winds. Brrr!!! Hard freeze. Yuck! The high today is 44. Ugh! The low tonight... brace yourself... 19 degrees!!! Add 10-20mph winds, and we have got some serious coldness going on... Cold has come to town kids, and we are not looking at any real relief in the near future, so bundle up, folks.

Have a great day!!!
~Dewdrop

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jenn... just wanted to wish you a Happy New Year! See you in a few weeks. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Courtney! Back at you! I can't wait for CCA! And.... I totally love your business card design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy NEW YEAR!!
    I can't wait to watch you next week!
    Brrrr it was 28 this morning but for us here in Florida by this weekend highs will be back in the lower seventys! I love this state!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jess! Happy NEW YEAR to you, as well!!! I am anxious to see the show, see how it all hacks out. Should be entertaining. I wish you could come up and watch with us.

    Cold morning here... 23 degrees with wind chill in the teens. Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 11.1 at my place in North Alabama....a few hit single digits! C$%D!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewww... That is just yuck!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...