The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Thursday, January 03, 2008

Cold weather has overtaken the country!

You know, I can't remember a time when I have seen the temperatures over the CONUS look like this. Everyone is sharing in this Dewdropcicle weather. While I was watching TWC this morning, I was struck by one graphic of the CONUS showing wind chill temps. The warmest I noticed was 35 degrees, up in the Northwestern corner of Washington state. Folks, it is doggone cold out there!!! The waking temp at my house was 23 degrees... unthinkable. It was funny driving to work this morning, a few places left their sprinklers on and the yards were covered in a blanket of ice. Fortunately, we are looking at being back at highs in the 70's by this weekend. Thank goodness. I live in South Georgia to escape all this cold weather ridiculousness.

EXPECT FRIDAY MORNING TO BE OUR COLDEST WITH LOWER 20S EXPECTED. GUIDANCE HAS HAD A TOUGH TIME WITH MIN TEMPERATURES THE LAST FEW DAYS BECAUSE OF WINDS. THE JURY IS STILL OUT FOR THIS MORNING. IF WINDS GO CALM...I SUSPECT THEY WILL STILL PLUMMET BUT POSSIBLY NOT AS LOW AS FIRST THOUGHT.

FINALLY...A WARMUP IS IN THE OFFERING STARTING ON SATURDAY MORNING WITH MIN TEMPERATURES AROUND FREEZING...AND AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER 60S.
I was offered the opportunity to preview that new show that premieres Sunday at 9PM on the Weather Channel, "When Weather Changed History". Of course, the first episode, as I had mentioned was about the impact of the cold weather on the effectiveness of the O-rings on the Space Shuttle Challenger, but they also encountered some upper level shear that was more powerful than other crews had encountered. I was in weather/space geek heaven watching that episode. It was definitely in documentary format (and let me tell you, I am not usually a fan of "the voice"), but there were some great interviews with NASA scientists involved, and I was captivated by the subject matter. It was a great summary of the events. The show flowed well, and did a great job of telling the story and connecting the weather to the tragedy. It is my very strong opinion that anyone interested in history and weather will LOVE this show. Here is a list of the episodes:
• Challenger –Airing 1/6/2008
• Battle of the Bulge –Airing 1/13/2008
• Air Florida Potomac Crash –Airing 1/20/2008
• Operation Eagle Claw –Airing 1/27/2008
• Rescue from the South Pole –Airing 2/10/2008
• Dunkirk Evacuation –Airing 2/17/2008
• Coast Guard Rescue –Airing 2/24/2008
• The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 -Airing 3/2/2008
• Delta 191 Crash –Airing 3/9/2008
• Race to Nome –Airing 3/16/2008

Good golly, I just realized what a commercial this has become for TWC... so I will gladly accept my royalties in the form of one of those really fabulous LL Bean jackets that the storm trackers wear on location. Sounds fair. I think that would be very beneficial in my storm chasing pursuits... ;O) Move over Stephanie Abrams, the Dew is on the scene... lol

Well, it's Thursday (heavy load day), and I have got to get rolling.

Toodles,
~Dewdrop

6 comments:

  1. Please close the door up there along the FL/GA border. Us cold weather wimps having a hard time down here, plus there's nothing to look at on the beach. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way, Jeff! If I have to suffer, so do you! That door needs to vlose somewhere along the Mason-Dixon line... Let the Yankees have the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting calls from friends and hearing reports on the Ham about snow flurries blowing in with showers along the central and southern Florida east coast attm. Temps aloft still very cold, and still in the mid 50's here at the sfc in the mid afternoon. Cold enough aloft for some lite flurries it looks like. COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, Jeff! Climb on the rooftops, get some video!!! S**w???!!! In Florida???!!! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great..Now Dew is trying to get her LL Bean on..Go Dew!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see nothing wrong with that. lol

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...