The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What happened to the Weather Channel?

I want my TWC!!! What happened to it? Does anyone know? I watch the Weather Channel every morning, but this morning was different. It was sad. It was dry. It was lacking local current data. It was nothing like TWC I have grown to know and... dare I say... love. This morning, they aired several of the on-camera meteorologists standing in front of the CONUS map, reading off the teleprompter about the forecast temps. That was it. That was all they showed over and over and over. No weather warriors, no chat about recent weather, no banter about what was happening in weather. Even my local on the 8's was just the generic everyone forecast. Ahhh!!! What happened?! You can take anything, but please don't take my morning weather... Grumble, grumble. If it's not fixed tomorrow, I am going on strike from the Weather Channel.

More Atlanta snow pics, these taken by my dear friend Courtney in Norcross, who apparently got a significant covering of snow during Saturday's snowfall event. Great pics, Courtney. Aren't those little snow angels adorable?Now, for local weather, we are looking at chance rain until Thursday... then, the temps bottom out in the 20's!!! on Friday... Ewww... That stinks because I will be sitting outside waiting on Mini-Dew's bus that day. Grrr... Then, I will leave for a fabulous retreat weeekend (I can't wait)... in the COLD! Layers for this trip. Things should be looking better for Saturday and Sunday though. Boy, do I hate the cold.It was depressing to see the outlook for tomorrow out of the SPC... not only are no severe thunderdstorms forecast... but there are no thunderstorms at all forecast... sigh. SDS is bad.

I have bunches to do, so...
Arrivederci,
~Dewdrop

16 comments:

  1. My husband and I noticed the change this morning, too. We also noticed that there were no commercials, either. You know the sponsors pay a mint for those times. If there were technical difficulties, they were the worst I've ever seen. What happened!!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea, Mel. If anyone finds out, please share. It wasn't even fun to watch, and TWC is always fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TWC gets me going every morning. We also noticed Jen and Kim were talking really fast, and Kim almost seemed nervous. I kept looking for a scroll along the bottom of the screen or someone to give us a brief explanation as to what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, Mel. I don't know what their story is. I noticed Kim really struggling to read the words off the the side teleprompter, without any regard for the viewing audience. Jen seemed better and more comfortable with it, but everything was out of whack. Even the picture seemed bad, and they kept changing out the meteorologists, but not their story. It was bizarre. I would love to know what happened, but mostly, I want it fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watch TWC every morning too and it wasn't giving me my weather on the eights either! It was very upsetting; I agree. Retreat?? E-mail me details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it stunk. I thought I told you about the retreat. I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have actually started watching it for the bike weather and it figures now when I watch it-it goes on the blink. I was frustrated but could not figure out what had happened. Thank you for clearing this up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. X, YOU are watching TWC?! No way! Has someplace frozen over? Watching the grass grow get boring for you? Paint already dry? LOL! Glad I could shed some light on the glitch even if I had no clue what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. TWC was recently acquired by NBC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They used to have a good on-air product. In he "olden days" they showed a radar loop that ran about 6 times, and it was large enough you could see some detail. Now the radar sweep is so large (Cuba to Montana for the region I live in) it is hard to determine where the bad storms are.

    Also they are trying to be an "entertainment" medium. Storm Stories, It Could Happen Tomorrow, P. Allen Smith.... geeze. What is next, a series on how changes in the barometer effect ferrel hog reproductive cycles? And, "Golf Forecasts..." Do they think their viewers are too stupid to simply hear a regular forecast to determine if the weather is conducive to their "lifestyle"?

    I wish the Weather Channel would go back to the basics and the old formula most of us liked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't agree more with you Sterling. I wish they would get back to "weather" and leave "entertainment" to the non-"weather" channel stations.

    They should, indeed, just go back to the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH NO... I switched to TWC to check my weather and now they say they will be running another docu-drama, WHEN WEATHER CHANGED HISTORY.... Give me a break (or is it they need to toss some lousy programming on while there staff goes on break?)

    Man I wish they had some competition. I wonder if AccuWeather has even considered launching a real weather channel?

    (Between TWC and all their gimmicky fluff and Billy Mays, I'm thinking why in the world did I get a degree in film and television? I'm embarrassed I worked in this industry for 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear what you're saying... I was repulsed to notice that they took the opportunity of Ike and expanded viewer base (because of the viewers' genuine concern for immediate weather) to promote that show. They really ramped up commercial promoting "When Weather Changed History" during that time. It truly would be great if they had some true weather competition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the weather got ruined immediately after cbs or whatever viacom-main strem media bs channel station bought it out... so yes... cbs owns the weather channel now and ever since its ruined... plain and simple

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, NBC now owns it, and they are now showing flashes of political content. If I want to see pictures of the Pres., I can see them on all the news channels. TWC has been my no 1 most watched channel for more than 20 years, but this is the first year I have seen political content. No thanks NBC. I am done with the Weather Channel. I wish Accuweather would come out with an alternative. Until then....

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...