The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Friday, February 29, 2008

Sky Watch Friday and an upcoming severe weather outbreak possibility...

Well, I did "Odd Picture Monday", so now it's time for "Sky Watch Friday"... which is hosted by Dot. Please visit her blog to participate or check out some terrific sky shots. I generally have my eyes to the sky, so this should be easy. This week, I am posting my favorite lightning shot, in honor of the upcoming severe weather forecasted for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday across the plains and southern states.Yes, yes, upcoming severe weather potential. The Weather Channel folks were going nutso over the potential for severe weather, a potential for a repeat of last year's March Mayhem, the tornado fest. Storm chasers are gearing up for what many are considering the first chase of the season, since few were ready for the insanity that we saw over this past month, a rare February indeed.

FAVORABLE FOR LONGER-LIVED DISCRETE CELLS ALONG THE DRYLINE...HOWEVER. LARGE HAIL WILL BE LIKELY WITH ANY STORM AS THE EFFECTIVE SHEAR/LAPSE RATES ARE EXPECTED TO FAVOR ORGANIZED STORMS/SUPERCELLS. (And for us,) THE SQUALL LINE WILL PEAK IN INTENSITY MONDAY AFTN/NIGHT ACROSS THE LWR MS/DEEP S WITH ALL FACETS OF SVR WEATHER PSBL...THOUGH PRIMARY SVR THREAT SHOULD BE DMGG WIND GUSTS.
I plan to monitor this system, but because of the timing of the local arrival, I may or may not be able to go after it. If the stars align, as with this past Tuesday, I am all over it. I will keep you posted. The Dewvoid is dead (despite the belief of some)..., so it could get hairy.

I have decided to list a few of the most bizarre ways that people have found the Dew... It's really amazing what people google... and even more amazing that it somehow results in my dewdrop weather blog. I've actually had many that made me laugh out loud, but here are my top 3 favorites. These folks get the "Raised-Eyebrow-Award":
1."name of tornado for south Georgia"
(yeah... that's because they name tornadoes in Georgia... RIGHT...)
2. "The eclipse that happened in Georgia"
(how special is Georgia that we got our very own eclipse?!)
3. "storm chasing Jeep"
(someone was actually looking for this?! Don't do it folks.)
Yep, head shaking. Well, that's it for today. I am playing in a big Texas Hold'em tourney tomorrow. Last time I was the first out, so this time I will hope to be better than last place. I also have a surprise coming... stay tuned.

I will leave you with this thought. Thanks, JJ, for sharing.Toodles and TGIF!
~Dewdrop

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture... really it is!
    What? Can't chase storms in a Jeep without the top down?!!? Oh c'mon now, why not? Hehe... hubby and I accidentally did it for fun... makes for awesome pics but I really don't recommend it... far too dangerous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michele!Storm chasing with the top down?! What kind of storms have you got up there??? I didn't know you were a storm chaser, Michele! I wonder if bf's lease agreement prohibits it???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining Sky Watch! Your link to south georgia skies didn't work.
    Last week Rick said on his blog that severe weather was coming. About 6a Sunday morning it moved thru here and I've never been so scared in my life. Carroll county next to us had tornadoes so we were lucky that we just had the winds and hail and it didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say your lightening picture is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dewvoid is alive!! I swear there it was in the sky. I have the proof Dew. Cant deny it! As for the pic, i cant stop laughing!! Fuuunny!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking your chances for another severe storm outbreak very early Tuesday. I am going to be in Atlanta Monday-Tuesday, so I might skip out of work and chase North Georgia early that afternoon. I have my video camera packed.

    SCM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you stayed dry during the weather. Nice lightening picture, wouldn't want to be out in the real thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dot, I love sky watch Friday! Glad you like the lightning shot. It's is my pride and joy. Sky watch Friday is the perfect thing for my blog since I am already taking pics of the sky almost daily. It's just a matter of picking which one to share. I am glad you do it. I am so glad you made it through the storm ok. Severe weather can be quite frightening and rightfully so. It is quite dangerous.

    Rick, Sorry, I made a deal with 2 of the Mikes that if I saw weather (real severe weather) locally, that I would not refer to the Dewvoid as something that exists as a barrier anymore... I would have to argue that a rotating wall cloud with a descended funnel would definitely contitute severe weather... No Dewvoid for me!

    Mikey, Unfortunately, I am thinking very early Tuesday, as in during darkness. I am not interested in chasing squall lines with embedded pulse storms in south Georgia in the dark. I don't even like the idea of it happening. I hope you get to chase something though. I know you're chomping at the bit to get some action!!! Good luck. Be safe. Hope the timing up in north Georgia is a letting better than what I am expecting here.

    Chanpheng, I shot that from the sunroom in the back of my house. I wouldn't want to be out in that with strikes that close either! WAY TOO DANGEROUS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...