The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Sunday, October 29, 2006

My dog...

Last night was awful! The haunted house was OK, not the best they've done, so that was a terrible disappointment. Afterward, we went to a friend's house to shoot some pool. I haven't played pool in a while, so I wasn't great, but I was OK.

It was when we got home (about midnight) when things got bad. We arrived home, and our dog was not in our backyard. We had a message on the answering machine. It was from the sheriff's office. Our dog, Bear, had gotten out, been hit by a car, was still alive and had been picked up by animal control. The officer left a number to be contacted, so we contacted her. She gave us the number to call to get in touch with animal control. They called back, sounded irritated. They told us that they left a note on our front door. Well, sure enough there was a note, "The dog was loose. Please keep dog contained. Dog was hit by car, still alive. Taken to animal control. Call #." We could pick him up after 8AM this morning. Poor Bear, probably scared out his whits and stuck all alone in a cage with no one to love on him after such a horrible ordeal... I don't get it though. We have a privacy fence. He has been in there over a year since we've been in the house whenever we go somewhere. He has a doggie door to come into the sunroom, yet, now he has dug a hole under the fence to escape.

On our way to the haunted house, we saw two big black dogs strolling around the neighborhood. I wonder if they had something to do with it. Hubby isn't back yet with the Bear, but I am so worried about how he is. Poor thing. I am so sad.

Update 8:55: Bear is home, and he is OK, just a small cut above his eye. Animal control was shocked to know how old he is because he had so much energy (he's 11). I am so relieved that he's OK, that someone actually took the time to call and that Hubby is headed to Home Depot to get wood to put around the fence. Doggone dog!

Update 9:30 PM: A neighbor who witnessed the accident contacted us to check on Bear. She said it was a teenage boy who hit Bear, but that he couldn't have stopped, but then, an amazing thing happened... he stopped to check on Bear after hitting him. He went on to this dark road where people travel at about 60 mph and picked Bear up from the road and held him (protecting him from a subsequent car coming that would have certainly killed him). He sat and held our dog in his arms until the police arrived. A teenager... the boy who hit my dog, saved his life, and I don't even know who he is to thank him.

Totally non-weather related, but... I did get an email from a person who is on the spotter network, who saw me out there as inactive and noticed I was in the area of the storms Friday (I don't even know how to see inactive people since they've changed it...) He/she offered some valuable information, and mentioned GRL-3. I did not purchase GRL-3, but it looks like some impressive software. Something to look into for when I have my laptop. I am definitely open to learning as much as I can about storm chasing. Rule #2, safety, and the best way to accomplish that is by being as educated as possible. The more I know, the safer I am.

~Dewdrop

1 comment:

Dew comment, please...