The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Thursday, April 12, 2007

No crow for me... whew

Fortunately, no one has forced me to eat crow today, so I got off easy with that one... whew. I wanted to share with you, the sky shot I captured yesterday, after I left work at about 8:00PM. It was difficult for me to see this sky in light of the active cells that I had just observed on radar all around me. This is solid proof that I am trapped in a weather abyss. It's helping me to understand the importance of storm "chasing", and let me tell you, as soon as I have a few more key gear elements, I am going mobile. The storms don't want to come and play with me, so it's up to me to go after them. My tax return should be deposited tomorrow, so I am expecting to see a laptop on my door-step in about a week and a half. ;-) I am well on my way. I can almost taste it.

Well, we are set up for some weak ridging for today and tomorrow... which will spell sunny, warm and dry, so you guessed it, Red Flag Warnings abound, and given our negative precipitation (you see, I refuse to describe it as zero precip anymore, when the local lakes are vanishing, creeks are almost dry and my rain gauge actually has dust in it... Yes, folks, we are truly in a weather vaccuum, and it is literally sucking all the moisture away.) To top it all off, the next chance at some potentially impressive thunderstorms for us will be on the day that I am leaving town (but of course), so I am slightly bummed there, but the good news is that when I arrive in Vegas, there is a 20% chance of thunderstorms... which translated to Dew means, no way in heck will I get a shot at some desert lightning... dare I even dream? I tell you though, if it does happen, I am all over it!

Nice set up in the plains for a big chase op tomorrow. I know of a few people who are setting up now to go after it. It is expected to bring with it some large, nasty tornadoes, so I am anxious to watch how that one develops. I'll be checking on those sites regularly for updates, and of course, arm chair chasing from many, many miles away (one day...)

That's all for me, for now... ciao,
~Dewdrop

8 comments:

  1. I told ya there would be storms after you leave. If you were drivng out on your own, you could leave early and catch the east Texas setup tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my luck... We're not actually driving, except to catch the flight... Of course, now looking at the Vegas forecast, I am fully expecting delayed flights (just becasue that's my luck)... I'd better not miss Celine. Oh yes, count down 3 day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dew, you need to add the song "Pray For Rain" to your music rotation. I have it on CD. It happened to pop up on XM Radio today and I thought it would be a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to look for that one... You're so right. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get the pilot to drop down to about 24k and slowly circle those supercells while you give a Skywarn training class to the terrified passengers. (Out your left window you will see a close up of the RFD...Oooo a little bumpy isn't it!)
    -----------------------------------
    (shortly after attempting this the young female chaser was tased by Sky Marshalls...Film at 11..) LOLOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't give me any ideas, Rick. A taser... lightning demo, bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way...the group who performs the song is PFR (Pray for Rain). They are a Christian group that has a Beatlesque sound.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFR

    ReplyDelete
  8. It wasn't available. Thanks for the suggestion though. We can definitely use the rain!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...