The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Saturday, May 05, 2007

I AM SO STINKING TIRED!!!

As I am approaching my 40th hour of no sleep (seriously folks, I am exhausted), I will keep this update brief. I honestly cannot believe how much I missed by being out on the field last night for the Relay. Carolina Mike did a fine job of keeping me abreast of the weather in my area until he finally turned off the radar and hit the sack. In fact, while he was updating me, he even made a donation to the ACS. You rock, Mike! When he hit the sack, I got the official update from Bryan at the NWS, who let me know that there was nothing on the horizon. The complete lack of precipitation is something that I face with mixed emotions... you see, the Relay for Life, raising money for the American Cancer Society to help fund cancer research, programs for patients and activism in patient health benefits, and we reached out goal, of over $250,000!!! This resulted in the bulk of the Relay committee agreeing to have their hair dyed purple. Yes, folks... my hair is purple! It should wash out with 8-10 washes. I did 4 when I got home today.... still very much purple. I must say that it's more like a trendy shade of plum. I have been compared to that Gina girl on AI... (eye roll) four to six more washes, and I'll be done. It was a good cause, and the fun of trying to dye your hair with only and porta-potty and a spicket in a park to use for rinses, proved sufficient entertainment to keep me awake...

While I was away from all means of weather tracking, doing my thing for the ACS, in bone dry weather (until the Dew settled that morning, making a nice soggy mess of all the donations), I was driving home from Mini-Dew's competition in Moultrie, GA (btw, the convection captured here was taken in that town, while I was leaving), when I heard a report about the 9 lives that were lost in the Greensburg, Kansas, tornado and the complete destruction of that small town. Jeff Gammons posted some links to video captures taken by Melanie of the Twister Sisters. It's so horrible to hear of such devastation resulting from these storms. Heart breaking. I was terribly saddened by this news. That system is still reering it's ugly head, while at the same time offering chasers a great opportunity to capture what they love... already today 57 tornadoes have been reported...

My turkey-killing, blog-yguard friend Steve finally broke his curse with an incredible capture that he included pics of in his blog. I have to say, they are some of the most spectacular pics that I have ever seen (and I'm not just saying that because he protects me from the evil villains with weather tools). I am particularly fond of the rope tornadoes, but this one is attached to a monster of a supercell, and the lighting... whew, as he would say... stormgasm. I guess I'll just say that I can't wait until I get my shot, which will be very soon. The CU I shot in Moultrie was a nice reminder of how much I love convection and truly miss it. We have slight POPS for some thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow... so far, nothing... tomorrow's really our best shot with 30-40 POPS.

I am headed to bed.

More tomorrow... if I can drag myself out of bed...
~Dewdrop

5 comments:

  1. Dew...I knew you were busy...but I had no idea about the 40 hrs w/o sleep....you are amazing, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you all raised so much money!

    I vote you go on your trip with purple hair! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alabama Mike, Amazing? wow, I wouldn't go that far. I was thinking along the lines of crazy, nuts, insane, but thanks for the compliment.

    Carolina Mike, Not happening! So not happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the Relay! Purple is a great color. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Nixster! Purple is the Relay theme color, so it seemed appropriate. Purple is definitely a great color! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...