The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Saturday, June 02, 2007

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring...

Welcome to South Georgia, Tropical Storm Barry!!! OK, so he's not technically here yet, but we are already reaping the rewards of his approach... It was amazing to wake up and hear the pitter patter of rain tapping on the roof and the patio out back. What a pleasant sound to hear water rushing through the rain gutter in an avalanche of much needed relief. I am excited to report that as of a few minutes ago, my house has experienced 0.64" of much needed, long overdue, steadily falling rain, and it's still coming. Unfortunately, current trajectory expectations track poorly organized TS Barry to our east, but we will still get plenty of rain out of him. Still should put a damper on those nasty fires. This tropical storm is definitely a gift sent directly by God. A tropical storm on June 1st headed right over those fires... an answer to countless heartfelt prayers. Thanks be to God. My digital rain gauge is now reporting 0.90" of rain, just an hour later... oh, and now a couple of minutes later, 2 more hundredths of an inch. We are getting drenched folks, and I am LOVING IT! The best part aside from the fires being entinguished and the ground being saturated and people's wells getting wettened is the fact that I won't have to be banned from Georgia. The rain is here and so am I! I didn't scare away the rain! I know my hurricane enthusiast friend Jeff is having a good time as a watch is likely in his area anytime now, and I know Jessika's having a great time with a TS knocking on her door. BTW, it's pretty entertaining to have HWO published about Barry by forecaster Barry. Thanks for the chuckle, Tim.

Now, enough about Barry, let me talk about next week. Still looks good for my Chase-O-Rama! I am so ready! It looks like we'll have something each day of chasing, and it looks like we'll start things off in Texas, possibly... if we start chasing on Tuesday. If we do end up in Texas, I will be giving Alabama Mike and Stevoid a ring to see about a rendezvouz for dinner. Set up in place, bags are packed. Can I go now? lol. The hardest part is waiting until Monday.

Locally, well... NO SMOKE! BUT WE DO HAVE RAIN! I rather enjoyed the colors on the map for Tallahassee... local hurricane statements in purple, tropical storm watches in red, short terms in green and HWOs in yellow-ish. It certainly is busy day for the guys at the NWS, finally. They actually have some work to do... not just telling us how dry and smoky it is. Ron did a great job with this AM's AFD, very detailed, which y'all know I like. I will quote him because what he says is pretty darn cool.

...LOCALLY...THERE WILL BE A TIGHT POP GRADIENT ACROSS OUR CWA TODAY WITH BULK OF THE RAIN OVER THE EASTERN BIG BEND AND ESPECIALLY THE VALDOSTA REGION. (South Central, that's me!!) ...MAIN LOCAL IMPACTS ARE THAT THE EAST HALF OF THE CWA RECEIVING MUCH NEEDED RAINS AND THIS WILL HAVE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON PERSISTENT FIRES/SMOKE. BECAUSE OF RECENT DEARTH OF RAIN AND PARCHED SOIL...DO NOT EXPECT ANY FLOODING CONCERNS.
Yep, the forecast is oozing in Barry. Love it! Exactly what this area needed. BTW, current rainfall total 1.04"... 1/2 an hour since the last measurement I reported... Looking forward, Barry makes way for a nice trough and subsequent cold front which should keep POPS in the forecast for a little while. Wonderful news indeed, and I'm going chasing in the plains... Happy Dew Dance. I should point out that Mini-Dew was helping me yesterday with my Happy Dew Dance. She was giving me ideas on how to improve it. She said to me, "When you see a tornado, you need to do this," and she started to jump up and down and squeal. No doubt that I will.

I'd better run.

If anything changes, I'll post again, otherwise, final trip preparations and house cleaning are on my agenda.

TTFN,
~Dewdrop

4 comments:

  1. Glad your finally getting rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is a Godsend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mike. Rain gauge is actually showing 3.56" now. The rain has let up, but boy was it incredible. That pond that I shot not too long ago that was down to the grass... is now overflowing its retention wall. Pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...