The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The one that got away...


Guess who went chasing yesterday??? That's right, Dewdrop went storm chasing all by her lonesome, and it was fun. It happened accidentally. It all started when an announcement went out in the office letting everyone know that they were free to leave the office to stay ahead of a "big storm" that was rolling in... (It didn't take me long to check GR and realize that it was nothing, so I continued working, so dilligently, in fact, that I let radar get away from me, and when it was time for me to head home... was smacked in the face with an approaching meso with a shelf cloud and everything. It was beautimus!!! At one point, it looked like a wall cloud was trying to form, but I was too far away... my camera wouldn't focus as I was racing up I-75... and I couldn't find it when I got to a better viewing spot. I was without any data... chasing blind, but this system was hauling tail as it rolled in. It had a beautiful shelf along its leading edge, some low gust front rolling clouds that practically came down to the surface. It was such an incredible rush. So I pulled over to the best spot I could find on such short notice to snap some pictures as it flew in, but quickly (very quickly) it was upon me. So I put my baja-ing (did a little mud boggin' to get into position - yes, in my mini-van) vehicle into gear and started chasing this beast to try and get ahead of it. I would say this was at about 7:45. So, I am racing towards town (I was away from town) to head north and east to try to get ahead of it... I couldn't do it though... road options were really awful. I couldn't cut to where it was without some major off-road action... and I never could get ahead of it... I chased that blasted cell through 3 counties... granted one was only a small part of a county... but when I ended up at a lake that I someday plan to photograph sunrise over... way over yonder, and I still hadn't gotten ahead of my precious little mesocyclone, I knew it was time to head back home. I was afraid that it might have merged with other cells and lost its charm anyway, and without radar, it wasn't worth going further. So, I turned myself around and headed home. On my way home, (of course, while I was driving) the lightning started up. I had one amazing bolt that came cascading through the clouds right in front of me. Of course, my camera was in my lap in the off position, so I didn't capture it, but it was the most incredible lightning bolt I have ever seen. It was amazing, and I couldn't capture... pardon me, while I sulk now...

It was nice to have a MCS roll through that hadn't lined out by the time it got to me. Usually those systems line out just before getting here, so I have not had the opportunity to see structure, as I would like. It was pleasing to have isolated cells approaching that offered a view at the spectacular structure that thunderstorms offer. All in all, a great South Georgia chase. Still no nader and no hail... still hunting... so one day.

Still have a shot at showers and thunderstorms today... might contain heavy rains and gusty winds, and it is expected to clear out by this evening. I will wait and watch. Could have some isolated severe storms, but I am not counting on it.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna get out.

Toodles,
~Dewdrop

5 comments:

  1. Wow...you ended up at Banks Lake! Nice little chase there Dewdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chased the heck out of that storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowee, Dew!!! You are cool like that! when you see a chance, take it. Great account. Any damage reported?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike, thanks! I couldn't just let it roll by and not try. It was such a beautiful storm rolling in. I couldn't resist. I haven't heard of any damage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally one of us got a chance to roll on something! 3 weeks and not a drop of rain here with no end in sight. That shelf cloud was awesome. Thanks for getting some hope in me that severe weather is near.

    SCM

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...