The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Monday, July 02, 2007

The Dewvoid remains alive and well...

Let me show you what nothing looks like... well, let me go back and offer a preface by saying that yesterday looked awesome! I came home from grocery shopping yesterday evening, and the winds were picking up, really gusting, nice outflow... I could see the trees being tossed about like ragdolls and immediately ran in to put away the cold stuff and grabbed my camera and started recorded some of the wind and tried to grab some thunder... haven't heard the clip to see if it picked up... but we shall see.
Anyways... hubby was hogging the PC with his stupid killing game, so I called my fellow team member, Carolina Mike, to see what was rolling in... of course he was not at home, so I just decided to set up the tripod in the backyard, but I got to worrying about composure, and Mike talked me into going after it, so I quickly checked radar and took off tripod in hand... I could hear that there was plenty of lightning, so I was on a mission.

Along the way, I stopped at the edge of one of those cells to snap this pic of the storm overtaking the sun... very cool stuff... I drove to a big open field somewhere in Southeastern Colquitt County, and I set up waiting for one of the many cells around me to start firing. I could still hear thunder rumbling in the distance... so I set up the tripod under the hatch back of my van, had my weather radio blaring and got my eyes trained on the sky... had some nice stuff rolling in from my west... was waiting on that for the lightning shots I crave. Well, I sat there for a good while, getting occassional updates from Carolina Mike... (doggone Kyocera phone won't hold a charge, so I just got brief updates from him... I am going to NEED a new cell phone) and waited. Shot a few clouds, but didn't get anything too exciting... Then, the lightning approached, of course, much less frequent than I could hear in the thunder before... and you know what, I missed every single stinking flash... At one point, had the bejeebers scared out of me when I was getting off the phone... I had the camera facing forward, and to my right, a hiss as a charge erupted in the field right beside me, not 20 feet away... the boom was almost simultaneous, shaking my van and causing me to actually scream. A little too close for comfort... I really wish we had better viewing of storms in south Georgia. I would love to safely shoot lightning... sigh. Even though I got nothing, I had a great time trying. Maybe next time, right...? Of course while I was out, Rick did a great radar study of the "Dewvoid Effect"... those results are posted to the team blog, and you guys thought I was just kidding... lol.

A WEAK COLD FRONTAL BOUNDARY TO THE NORTH WILL COMBINE WITH PLENTY OF DEEP LAYER MOISTURE FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO TO PRODUCE NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS THE REGION TODAY INTO TONIGHT... THE DAYTIME HEATING TO FUEL THESE STORMS IS EXPECTED TO BE MORE LIMITED TODAY THAN IT WAS OVER THE WEEKEND... WHICH SHOULD LIMIT THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE WEATHER TODAY... SPOTTERS ARE URGED TO REMAIN VIGILANT SHOULD THEY BE NEEDED FOR ANY UNEXPECTED SEVERE WEATHER.
In other words... hope you enjoyed yesterday cause that was the big shot... again, sigh. This part of the AFD made me laugh in light of the POPS being at 70%
WE THINK THAT SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE LIKELY TODAY.
They think so, huh? They aren't really sold on it... Jeff makes me laugh... it appears that the thick cloud cover is expected to inhibit heating, which, in turn, could inhibit significant convection. Winds are the main expectation today.

That's all for me...

Have a GREAT day!
~Dewdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dew comment, please...