The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Wednesday, July 04, 2007

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!!

Happy 4th of July! This happens to be among my favorite holidays, if not my favorite holiday. You see, my parents were watching fireworks when my mom went in to labor with me... (she had a long labor... poor dear.) So, people always told me growing up that the fireworks were in celebration of my birthday. They definitely have a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, they can be very dangerous also. ** Warning, the story you are about to read is very sad, and most unfortunately very true...** My dear friend Cy and her family were watching some neighborhood fireworks Saturday night when a rogue firework ricocheted off the house and landed on her two year old daughter causing 1st and 2nd degree burns to her arms and face. Poor little angel had to undergo surgery for them to apply cadaver skin over the burns... she is doing well, such a little trooper. She even had the care and concern to make sure her baby brother was ok and didn't get burned by the fireworks. Please, folks, be very, very careful with those fireworks. They can be very dangerous! Not to mention, with recent drought, the fire danger is through the roof. Exercise caution!

Let's check the forecast, shall we? Tim is really coming out of his shell with those AFDs... he writes...

WITH ANY LUCK...NATURE`S FIREWORKS WILL END BEFORE THE ANTHROPOGENIC FIREWORKS ARE SCHEDULED TO BEGIN
It really is up in the air... might get rain, might not... Wait and see. Even if it does occur, not expecting anything significant. Yesterday's weather never arrived here... I'll let you absorb the shock of that statement... lol. I was able to chase a beautiful sunset though. Sadly, in doing so, I discovered that my favorite storm viewing location where I caught my best CG has been set up for development... with TELEPHONE POLES AND POWER LINES!!! They have impeded my view, and let me tell you, NO ONE bothered to ask me if I minded! Grumble, grumble... so I fired off a few shots there with the newly impeded view and then, I sought out a better spot, and let me tell you, my new spot is not nearly as open as the other, so I am currently taking applications for really awesome views in South Georgia. If anyone knows of any really cool spots, I am very interested in checking them out. I have to tell you. I was quite broken hearted seeing all those freakin' power lines in my absolute favorite spot. Such a ridiculous waste of an incredible westward view. All the sunsets and storm structure shots totally destroyed now. I need to find better spots. Now, for some of the unobstructed view... since I didn't have any storms to chase...Then, of course, I was traveling home when I noticed those burn piles still burning with the sunset still barely hanging on behind it... had to grab that.

...SPECIAL FEATURE...
A 1013 MB LOW PRES CENTER NEAR 11N42W...OR ABOUT 1200 NM E OF THE LESSER ANTILLES. CONVECTIVE ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOW AS DECREASED SOME WITH SCATTERED MODERATE TO ISOLATED STRONG WITHIN 120 NM SW QUADRANT.
But that's it for the tropics...

Hope everyone has a fabulous and safe 4th of July (my holiday)!!!
~Dewdrop

12 comments:

  1. Ouch! That is a scary story indeed and glad your friend's daughter is ok.

    Check out http://www.fireworksafety.com/statistics.htm for some stats. Be sure to check out the child injuries (age 5-14) statistics. I was totally amazed by those statistics.

    Here's wishing you and our country a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very scary story.

    Thanks for sharing the site, Steve! Had to download adobe... can't believe I didn't have that...

    Thanks for the birthday wishes... planning a girls' night out... can you say... MUDSLIDES?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birfday... It also my youungest daughters B-day too. I am glad the little angel wasnt hurt more tyhan she was. I grew up in Alabama. This meant fireworks year round. This also meant young kids finding new ways to use small explosive devices. Bottle rocket wars were a test of who had neighborhood superiority for the month. ;-)...gotta love it~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my....all Poolboys should take cover! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. My birthday is not actually until Friday, but thanks.

    I wonder if we could hire a pool boy just for the night... ??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poolboys-R-Us or "1-800-POOLBOY" LOL!!

    Rick, I used to do alot of experimenting with a myriad of black powder devices. :-) If we couldn't find fireworks, we'd go buy model rocket engines and make our own!! I do believe that there might still be a couple of critters in orbit that we launched LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Bday Dew! Hope the 4th was a great day for ya! I'm just recovering this morning... ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Mike! Hope you didn't wear yourself out cleaning. I did...

    Steve, I have "1-800-POOLBOY" on hold... the whole rocket thing... boys and their toys. eye roll.

    Jeff, Tomorrow's the big day. Hope your 4th was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that Dew. My boys wanted to shoot fireworks but I told them we couldn't this year b/c they were illegal due to the drought (party pooper that I am)! We enjoyed the fireworks in Tuscaloosa though, alsong with the water baloon throwing contest, etc.! In case I'm not around tomorrow, I hope you have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated b-day Jenn! I didn't realize you and Lori(from the peaches) have the same b-day! Hope it was a good one! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Courtney. I am afraid I have confused people... my birthday is tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...