The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Thursday, July 12, 2007

Looky, looky what Dew caught!!!

Well, if that wasn't the best night cap ever?! It worked out exactly as I had hoped. I went to see the movie, and as I was leaving and grabbing myself a bite to eat, I noticed the flashing in the far western horizon... at that point, just a glow, no defined bolts, so I had time to get into position. I grabbed my chow and headed to an open area, where I had an only slightly obstructed view of the western horizon (grr)... I set up my tripod and waited for the storm to roll in a little bit closer. Got a few beautiful glowing horizon shots, which were actually missed lightning shots rather than a far off lightning because it was approaching me quickly at this point. I was so frustrated, I missed most of the really awesome painted across the sky shots. The lightning grew much more frequent with an intensity. It was a spectacular light show that really just blew me away... everytime I'd miss a really awesome shot, I would grumble firmly under my breath, occassionally letting the really ginormous nearby cows know exactly what I thought about my pathetic timing and slow as molasses camera. It was mostly cloud to cloud and those bolts would streak their way across the sky like an intensely complex flow chart casting a magnificent purple hue. I actually got a total of 3 bolts, but the top one is by far my best, and it's actually enhanced and cropped... I wanted to accentuate the amazing purple color. I'll post the actual unenhanced pic below, but it's harder to see the lightning in it. I had a wonderful time out in that field shooting the approaching storm. I think I shot about 200 pics, just to get three bolts, and I missed all the really awesome ones, but I did get this really awesome one, and this is unenhanced! Go Dew!!!

As for today... looked like our trough dry air. This should kill all chances of precipitation for today. Dry, stable air is not my friend. Subsidence and drying with significantly lower POPS... so I shall not be getting 0.02" of rain like yesterday. Hold back your enthusiasm... but we can hold out hope for the shortwave approaching for Friday bringing much higher POPS. Back to climo; that's what I'm talking about. In the tropics, nada.

Wooho, I got lightning!!! Enjoy. Sorry, the others are hard to see. You have to click on the image to see the lightning in the others... sorry so dark. It is what it is.

Have a fabulously wonderful day!!
~Dewdrop

4 comments:

  1. You've won a Blogging Princess Award! Visit this link: cebrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honored. Thanks so much Courtney. Hope you don't mind if I pass it along... to some of my dear blogging, princess-award worthy friends... sorry guys, you miss out on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey congrats on the catch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mike!!! I am so proud. Hope you're enjoying your family, while they are in town.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...