The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Monday, August 06, 2007

The Lawnmower 500

Y'all are just going to love this one, and let me tell you, I am almost ashamed to tell the story, but it makes for good reading, so here it goes. Sorry, but the only aspect of this that is weather related is that the swing was incredibly weathered from years of sun and rain... and I was out in the dark mowing to try to escape the unbearable heat... how's that for an introduction???

For the first time ever in my life (yes, yes, I know, sheltered life), I was gearing up to mow the lawn... no, I won't be too melodramatic about that. It's a riding lawn mower, so it's not as if I had to exert any effort, but it was something I had never had to use before, so I was clueless. After some quick lessons on operation, set up with water in my handy dandy drink holder, I was on my way (only after the sun had gone down...) So, there I am zooming around the yard, pleased that I was mowing my own lawn for the first time in my whole entire life. I was rather proud that I was doing such a good job... that's when it happened... I was trying to come in tight around the weathered old, rotting backyard swing... and perhaps, just maybe, I was cutting it in a little too close, and the doggone swing jumped out in front of my lawnmower, and somehow it just crumpled down to the ground... It was the craziest thing. I was still getting comfortable with the whole break pedal thing. Unfortunately, with the swing having jumped out in front of me like that, it snapped the supporting arm in the "A-frame", so it is not going to be much of a swing for a while. OK, OK, apparently I have speed issues... I can't help it. ;-) (So, any votes for me driving during the chase-cation???) Anyways, it was an adventure, when I caught that thing, and it started going down, and I could hear the wood splintering... I thought I was a goner... I just knew that blasted thing was going to fall on me. Thank God, it did not. When I told Mini-Dew about what happened, she was shocked, but her first question was "Are you OK?" Adventures in Lawn Mowing.... what not to do... lol

Now, looking at weather, keeping an eye out the the Africa/Cape Verde area for the area that Mikey pointed out. I can see what he's referencing, and I wonder if it will happen... All we can do is wait and watch, right? It could do something... maybe...

Heat is still the big weather concern right now locally and in several other places... I would like to take a moment to remind EVERYONE that heat is the number one killer. Aside from the fact that that means I was RIGHT, it is important to take extra precautions while working outdoors, keep hydrated and take frequent breaks. Heat exhaustion can be VERY dangerous. Also, do not leave children or animals inside parked vehicles for any amount of time. Vehicles become like an oven, and it very likely could have a devastating outcome. Be cautious...

Happy Monday!
~Dewdrop

19 comments:

  1. OK, Dew...what's up with you and Rick and these mowers? I will be driving during that chase!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... it's the NEED for SPEED... apparently I looked like a "wild woman" out there mowing. Not used to that much power... perhaps, we could get a Hemi for our chase-cation... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lets go down to the pits for a quick update..Well Dew what happened out there??

    Well we were running good, the TroyBbuilt Pony mower was handling real good and I was looking forwards to a top 5 finish before it got dark. Dont know what happened, maybe i got to close the swing in turn 2 but somehow I was pushed up into it. Not too much damage done but I think the swing isnt gonna make it and i saw them pulling it behind the wall and into the garage. Cant win 'em all. Maybe next sunday....

    There ya have folks! Another shocking accident almost like the disaster with mower driver Rick a few couple months back..Stay tuned for further updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I didnt wreck my mower, my wife did!! sheeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I know that was coming, or what?

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Love the pit talk... too funny... knew that was coming, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (blushing)...shucks Mamm..Tain't nuthin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lead Foot Lady…so…did you finish the yard after the accident?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny Dew! Welcome to the world of mowing the lawn!

    My hubby and I have reversed roles at our house. He cooks and I mow the lawn. I am clueless in the kitchen, but man I love to mow the lawn... the smell of fresh cut grass and nice lines in the yard. Yes... I'm weird. I enjoy deciding how I will cut the lines... horizontal, vertical, diagonal. ha! We have a riding lawnmower too. I actually used my tax return check 2 years ago to purchase my John Deere! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that last pic..."And then she drove off in search of other targets of opportunity or maybe to terrorize other homes and swings". Ok..Ok...One more.."Swing low sweet chariot"..Everybody sing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gotta have a hemi!

    I tend to be heavy footed, JJ. Can't help myself. I did finish the yard after that... I even moved the trampoline!!!

    Courtney, Give me a kitchen any day... I think I'll get used to it though. I might cutomize my mower!!! lol Girl, you used your tax return to buy a John Deere?! You are all South, girl!!!

    I did take out some lilies after that... I am hoping they will grow back, but I did mutilate them pretty badly. I felt like Irkel after doing all that... "Did I do that?!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the Casting Crown's tune on your site!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the rabbit's and frogs ran for their lives that night. I'm pretty sure they won't be back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Michael! I love that song, too!

    Hubby... I didn't even think about the wildlife. Oh gosh, I hope that no animals were injured in the mowing of my lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No tropical activity, only HEAT!

    You can loop this and dream....

    http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/carib/gfs/06/index_slp_m_loop.shtml

    SCM

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mikey's recommeneded link for looping... since my comments box cut it off...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Let me be the first to point out the symbolic irony of the fallen swingset....crushed by the Dew. I think it entirely represents Dew's effect upon synpotic-scale weather systems. For they too get mowed down by a similar out-of-control and unstoppable force....known as.......the Dewvoid!! LOL!!

    And to think what would have happend with a few pre-mowing "mudslides". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Steve, You're right... it wasn't me, it was the Dewvoid! It all makes perfect sense. Pre-mowing mudslides... by golly, I think you've got it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...