The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Monday, September 10, 2007

Gabrielle is depressed...

Don't blink, huh? Tropical Depression Gabrielle has reemerged into the Atlantic as a weakly convected tropical depression, entering a less than favorable environment, she should be sheared off in no time. On the plus side, she is prettier than ever...

Aside from that, we have a couple of tropical waves that are particular areas of interest. One, Invest 90L, in the Southwestern GOM looks sort of like a mess of clustered showers, which is technically what it is... I am not impressed. My focus is on the really big cluster of storms out in the Atlantic, another Cape Verde storm, which is where Hurricane Dean, the monster, got his start. Looks much better organized this morning, and I think there is a lot of potential for it being designated a tropical depression very soon. It's got some strong cirulation, and the associated convection is really firing.

Locally, moisture has begun to roll back into the area... moisture? What? Yes, moisture. Looks like rain in this storm chaser's future. If not today, given the 30% POPS, perhaps tomorrow, the better day, with 60% POPS. I am keeping my fingers crossed. We not only need the rain, I would love to have some more shots at some CG photography. Bring it on.

On a sad note, I just learned some disturbing news about a highly regarded storm chaser, Eric Nguyen, who took his life, leaving behind a wife and two children. Such a tragedy for those left behind. It's hard to imagine the desperation a person must feel to drive them to such a drastic act. Depression can be a frightening and powerful force. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family as they try to wrap their minds around what he did and find some way to forgive him. His website is among the links in my sidebar.

Ciao,
~Dewdrop

7 comments:

  1. Gabby was a total non-event here in Virginia. Hardly even rained. Definitely Eggs for most forecasters on this one....

    SCM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had eggs for dinner last night in honor of your post. They sure did puncture our yolk...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric will truely be missed. In the coming days, I’m going to post some of my greatest memories with Eric while chasing on the Great Plains. I plan to share videos and pictures all the way back to 1998.

    A great man...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a tragic end to his life. As Chris posted on the Storm Track Forum though... "If you feel depressed - Get help, period. No one deserves to go though something like this. No one." So, true. I look forward to seeing your post, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad story. My prayers are for his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sad. I didn't know him, but I knew of him, and I know that he was very well thought of...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric Nguyen will be missed! He had in my opinion some of the best photos out there, and it was always interesting reading his chase accounts.

    As with Dew I also had a link to his site "Eric Nguyen...The Great"

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...