The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Tornado outbreak in... January????

I knew when I saw this yesterday afternoon that it was going to be an eventful day. I was talking with Mike and Matt on Dick and Darin's online chat, and we were watching as the storm intensified right before our very eyes. I watched as Dick and Darin got set in position, until I had to run to an appointment, and I couldn't even arm chair chase. I am sure that with as many tornadoes as there were that broke out in Missouri, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Illinois yesterday (37 reports thus far, and sadly two reported fatalities), that those guys encountered something. They were in it. They weren't too far from the one above actually. A tornado outbreak... in January...??? I thought this was SDS season. Anyways, I was watching TWC this morning, as they were showing the storm damage, and while I was watching, they flashed a picture that one of the "Weather Warriors" sent in. It was a picture of some of the hail that fell yesterday in the severe weather outbreak compared to a can of Mountain Dew. Dew sized hail!!! I love it! I know Mike (not Meso Mike, Alabama Mike, Tennessee Mike, Nebraska Mike, Oklahoma Mike, or Storm Chasing Mikey.., this was Texas Mike) was getting readings of up to 4.13" hail potential off his GR2ae. Now, it looks like round two has begun:

835 AM CST TUE JAN 8 2008

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A
TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

MUCH OF EASTERN AND SOUTHERN ARKANSAS
PARTS OF WESTERN KENTUCKY
PARTS OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI
PARTS OF NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI
PARTS OF WESTERN TENNESSEE
Just a little further east, and it looks like Tennessee and Alabama Mikes would be contending with this one. Locally, we've got nothing, except some more of that exceptionally dense fog (not as dense as yesterday, but still pretty thick). That makes three days in a row now, that the fog was so dense and low that it left the concrete damp. It almost looked like it had rained... but no such luck. I even caught the fog drops... eh, let's call them dewdrops ;-) ... dangling from the branches of my little tree. I love the way the sun spotlights my anemometer. A true weather geek lives here is what that picture tells me.Well, tonight is the big night... the "Twister Sisters" show on WEtv, will be Dew-ified. I have a couple of members of the chase team stopping by for the big show, and I am certain that I will be teased heartily regardless... I am ready. I will be offering a full review of the show tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Have a lovely day!
~Dewdrop

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the big show tonight! I was watching those storms as they rolled through the Springfield, MO area. TWC was being blasted on the weather discussion board I was reading. People were angry with TWC for not breaking into programming.

    I think there is a niche market out there for a new wx channel that is for weather geeks. If I only had the money. Mark my words, it will happen. I have tons of ideas for programming....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, that is wild! I was just thinking the same thing when I saw that they appear to be airing that "When Weather Changed History" show all week... What happened to airing the weather on TWC. That's supposed to be what it's there for... I can see random shows, but they really need to get back to their roots... sounds like another MTV... I like your idea. I'll watch your channel, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was quite surprised to hear of tornado weather here in SE WI.

    I have noted the weather channel getting bogged down with other programs.

    Mountain Dew hail... interesting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you faired well in all that.

    Dew sized hail. How awesome is that?!

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...