The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Deadly tornadoes in Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky leave a wake of Destruction

Well, last night, my blog visits since July 5, 2007 soared over 10,000 hits, with 322 hits coming in yesterday. WOW! Looks like there were a great many folks interested in learning about the devastation that occurred through the night (and continues this morning and afternoon) in Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, Alabama, and now Georgia, as a massive and deadly tornado outbreak ripped across the country. With this system, already 70 tornadoes have been reported, including two reported during the past 3 hours in Alabama. It has been a terribly tragic weather event, as already 47 deaths have been reported (update 52), and, sadly, as the sun rises on the aftermath, and that path of destruction continues through this morning, afternoon and tonight, the death toll will most likely rise. It's unimaginable. I know, as I watched the hook echo race towards Nashville last night, my heart sunk, to see it on radar and know what it means is a very humbling and frightening thing. You just want to shout to everyone in it's path, seek shelter, get to safety!!! Last night presented a true nightmare scenario, as massive, destructive, deadly long-lived tornadoes tore through Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky... continuing on through the night in Tennessee and Alabama, destroying and stealing people's lives and livelihoods as they slept, and the severe weather threat continues...

Today, a large part of the eastern CONUS (Continental US) has been placed under a slight risk for severe weather by the SPC (Storm Prediction Center). I must give kudos to the SPC; yesterday, they placed the area struck the hardest under a high risk for severe weather, and they were strikingly accurate in their forecast for this intensely dangerous weather event. Today's slight risk has already produced tornado reports in Alabama and several tornado warnings have been issued this morning in eastern Alabama and northwest Georgia. I heard from Rick that Alabama Mike had a tornado within miles of his home, and Rick was able to offer some data support for Mike. I have not spoken with Mike yet to get his first-hand account of the events that transpired this morning, but I am awaiting that update. The SPC has a discussion about the outlook for today...

MODEST INSTABILITY /MLCAPES OF 500-1000 J PER KG/ AND FORCING ALONG COLD FRONT SHOULD MAINTAIN A LINE OR CLUSTERS OF STORMS THROUGH THE MUCH OF THE DAY. THE PRESENCE OF 50-60 KT OF DEEP LAYER SHEAR SHOULD SUPPORT A CONTINUED THREAT OF SUPERCELLS AND BOWING STRUCTURES WITHIN LARGER CONVECTIVE BAND. ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR ISOLATED DAMAGING WINDS. THE TORNADO THREAT APPEARS HIGHEST THIS MORNING INTO EARLY AFTERNOON.
The most intense part of the remaining storm appears to be targeting the area further north of here, where it is likely that the outlook will be upgraded to a moderate risk for severe weather as the day continues... and there appears to be some question regarding the storm's life...
HOWEVER...IT REMAINS QUESTIONABLE WHETHER ONGOING...PRE-FRONTAL LINE OF STORMS WILL CONTINUE TRANSLATING EWD OR IF STORMS WILL DIMINISH ACROSS THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS AND ALLOW COLD FRONT TO FOCUS DEVELOPMENT LATER TODAY AND EARLY THIS EVENING.
This bit that they are referencing is more commonly known as "the Dewvoid". As a storm chaser, I have had more storms dissolve prior to getting to me than I can even mention. In all seriousness though, this is a messy, destructive and deadly system. I don't wish this storm anywhere near any populated areas, so if the Dewvoid will save lives, I am all for it.... granted, if it holds together and makes it to my neck of the woods, I am on it. ;O) This is a look at what lies ahead for my neck of the woods. Stay tuned...

For some excellent coverage of the events of this horrific tornado outbreak, check out these sites...

Steve Miller - out of Oklahoma
Tony Laubach - out of Colorado
Jeff Gammons - out of Florida
David Drummond - out of Texas
Mike Wilhelm - out of Alabama
Chris Collura - out of Florida but temporarily in Chicago (he was in it, but he hasn't updated yet)
Michael Detwiler - out of Tennessee

This in from a blog visitor...
Megan said...
My sister in law was working at the hospital at the time of the tornado. My brother and their kids were at home and are fine, but no one in my family has heard from my sister n law. Her name is Angula McDonald. If anyone has any information about the hospital or other areas of Mtn. View, please post them here and I will check back frequently. My brother tried to get to the hospital last night, but he couldn't get past the security to make sure that Angue was okay.
If anyone has information about Angue, please get in touch with me, so I can pass the word along to Megan.
Donna said...
Hi my breeder of my dog lives in Mountain View her name is Sue Parracino does anyone know if she is OK. Thank you Donna
Ditto, with Sue Parracino, so I can let Donna know. Y'all might check with emergency management in those areas.

1:30 PM Update: I will be leaving shortly for a Doctor's appointment... here is a current radar snapshot of what's coming my way, just a solid squall line event, no really isolated cells worthy of storm chasing at this point. The NWS (National Weather Service) in Tallahassee issued a Special Weather Statement for the counties to my west, as a cell over that way has pulsed and bowed slightly... but otherwise, still just watching and waiting.

7:10 update: Of course, the "Dewvoid" prevails. The system fell apart, and there wasn't even one strike of lightning for me to capture... got a few drops of rain, but that is all. It seriously fell apart...

I got this comment from an anonymous reader:
anonymous said...
My mom lives in MV and she finally called me an hour or so ago. The hospital was hit, but all people from there are safe. The Chevy dealership was hit and some homes, but mostly the tornado went through open fields. She said only one lady died in MV. I guess they know no one else is dead because they have checked all damaged places. However, the power system was also hit, for the whole town. So no one has power at all and probably for a few days.

I've tried to find more info online, but it's hard. I did find a couple pictures of damage on Highway 5 at Arkansas Matters site
or just go to their homepage and scroll to the "Sever Weather Photos" and you can see more.
So, feel free to check that out, and thanks a bunch to the anonymous reader for the update about Mountain View.

God be with all those affected or about to be affected.
~Dewdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dew comment, please...