The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
-Psalm 19:1

Do you know that God controls the clouds and makes his lightning flash?
-Job 37:15



Friday, February 22, 2008

How will the Dewvoid interact with the severe weather risk in South Georgia... ?

Well, if nothing else, the system that rolled through yesterday made valliant attempt at being labeled a drought buster. In less than 24 hours, my part of South Georgia saw 3.26" of rain (btw, you should consider volunteering for CoCoRaHS in your state if you haven't already.) I emptied my rain gauge early last night in case the rain kept coming, since it will only hold so much. We are actually under a flood warning as the river that I have shot relatively recently (I will post a pic here) is quickly approaching flood stage. Now, I am looking at a thick fog that seems to have settled in and a solid stratus deck that will most likely destroy the severe weather threat here if it sticks around. Today is the day, though. The Storm Prediction Center has continued to place me smack dab in the middle of a slight risk area for severe weather... looks like a rock solid chasetunity to me, another test of the ever-present Dewvoid.

THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS SE LA TO S GA TODAY... THE WARM SECTOR CONVECTION... CONSISTING OF SMALL SCALE BOWS OR SPLITTING SUPERCELLS... WILL POSE A THREAT FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL. HOWEVER... LOW-LEVEL SHEAR AND ANY ATTENDANT TORNADO THREAT WILL BE RELATIVELY LARGER ALONG THE WARM FRONT BY EARLY AFTERNOON ACROSS SE AL AND GA.
"Tornado threat relatively larger along the warm front across SE Alabama and GA".






Looks like a "SKYWARN spotters ACTIVATE!" day. The guys have put the timing here as late afternoon into the overnight hours. Hopefully, Meso Mike will be off and up to chasing at that time. I will be available after 5. :O) Rick has ended up going into work today, but may not have to stay, so he MIGHT become available for storm chasing this afternoon, and Alabama Mike has offered data support. They are all members of the Southern Weather Brigade. Just a bunch of CWGs.

There were 5 tornado reports in Louisiana during yesterday's weather event, which should seem like a lot, but I think that the outrageous amount of tornadic activity so far this year has somehow made 5 possible tornadoes seem almost... insignificant... less than newsworthy...? It certainly isn't insignificant to the people that were affected by them... This has been an exceptional year for tornadoes. Steve Miller in Oklahoma, included this frightening graphic in his blog the other day. For the sake of potential victims, all we can do is pray that this trend doesn't hold through the year. Rough proportional comparison would place the tally at year end near about 5,000 tornadoes (completely over-exaggerated and highly unlikely, but even 3,000...)! It's INCONCEIVABLE! With the "peak season" still yet to come... it could be a catastrophic year. Let's pray not.

I took this pic the day before yesterday and thought I would share it with the message that today is definitely the day to keep your eyes to the sky, with the weather radios in the "on" position.

I just got a pic from bf, who is currently at the beach in Biloxi, MS, and he sent me this pic of the sign at "Hope City", where people are still "camping" after Hurricane Katrina. Thanks for sharing that (and the lovely sand art not pictured here), bf!

TGIF!!!
~Dewdrop

5 comments:

  1. I had 5.76" in my rain gauge this morning!! It's been a while since we've had a soaker like that!

    Don't worry about running over on the gauge. It can hold up to 11" of rain, so unless you're like one of my observers in Bay County (he had 10.12"!!) you'll only come close to overflowing in tropical events... or if you get stuck under a training line of thunderstorms... like he did yesterday.

    Bring on the thunder... we haven't had a good storm in weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, that is some incredible rainfall. Awesome! I had read all that about its capacity, but I was excited and wanted to see how much there was... just eyeballing it, it appeared that there is another 2 1/2 inches in there from today.

    I have heard a total of 3 claps of thunder... and that was while I was in my physical therapy. Go figure. I talked Meso Mike into hanging out to see if something chaseworthy popped up... no such luck. I am about to write up my chase account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...or should I say Dewvoid experience...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I say that I'm SICK of rain without being shot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I promise not to tell. ;O) I know what you mean though... rain makes things seem so... yucky.

    ReplyDelete

Dew comment, please...